Social Policy Research Associates (SPR) is seeking Associates for full-time employment. We are a growing and dynamic research, evaluation, and technical assistance firm located in Oakland, CA. Currently, we are seeking applications for qualified full-time mid-level researchers. We are particularly interested in researchers interested in quantitative methods, as well as researchers who can continue to grow our substantial portfolios of evaluations focused on improving employment stability and economic self-sufficiency for populations with barriers to employment.
The Company: At SPR, we believe in providing rigorous, high quality research, evaluation, training and technical assistance to improve the well-being of diverse groups of individuals, families, organizations, and communities. SPR’s work spans multiple areas of social policy, often focusing on supporting our clients with workforce development, employment training, education, philanthropy, youth development, health, and other human service issues. Over the past 25 years, SPR has earned national recognition for our work in evaluating the role of philanthropic and public-sector investments in policies and programs designed to improve outcomes for diverse populations across the country. Our clients consistently share an appreciation of the analytic lens and technical rigor that we bring to our work, and our ability to engage real-time data to inform continuous learning and iterative strategy improvements. For more information about SPR, please visit our website at www.spra.com.
What we are looking for: An Equal Opportunity Employer, SPR is an organization that values a staff with diverse perspectives and backgrounds. All candidates must meet all the following requirements to be considered for this position.
- Master’s degree in a relevant field, such as public policy, sociology, education, psychology, economics, and other social sciences
- Demonstrated experience in research methods (including literature reviews, interviews and focus groups, site visits, survey design and analysis, management of large-scale data sets, and/or administrative data cleaning and analysis)
- Excellent writing, oral communication, and analytical skills
- Experience working with racially or socioeconomically diverse populations
- Interest in managing project teams and budgets
Qualified candidates must also have research and evaluation experience in one or more of the following areas:
- Economic security and workforce development
- SNAP and other public benefits
- Criminal justice, including violence prevention, diversion, jail-based programming and/or reentry
- Spanish fluency
The Position: Associates at SPR have key responsibilities for working within multiple project teams to implement research and evaluation studies and/or technical assistance projects. Specific duties will vary by the Associate’s previous experience, but may include a mix of the following:
- Conduct qualitative, case study research based on telephone interviews, focus groups, and/or site visits to employment training, youth, or other human service programs nationwide
- Assist in the development, administration, and analysis of surveys, and the maintenance or analysis of other quantitative data
- Manage databases and conduct statistical analyses using STATA or other statistical software packages
- Analyze data and prepare evaluation reports for government, foundation, or other non-profit clients
- Provide on-site and virtual training and technical assistance to employment training, reentry, youth, or other human service programs nationwide
- Depending on experience, management of small-scale evaluations and/or substantial tasks within large-scale evaluations
The Location: SPR is conveniently located right on top of the City Center BART station in downtown Oakland. The building plaza has great food options for lunch, and we are just a few blocks away from Chinatown restaurants. Our location in Oakland also allows us to be in close contact with many of the communities we support through our work.
Other Information: In this role, you can expect work in an office environment; occasional lifting up to 10 lbs; frequent telephone usage; standing/walking up to 50% of the time; sitting up to 80% of the time; use of office machines; heavy keyboarding.
Level of Language Proficiency
Excellent English skills and prefer Spanish fluency.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Apply thru our website. Deadline for applications is November 23, 2018. Please note we will move forward with promising candidates before this date. No phone calls please.