Details: Commensurate with experience, plus full benefits package
4400 University Drive
INTO University Partnerships collaborates with leading universities to provide international students with a personalized and highly supportive learning environment allowing them to acclimate to life on a US university campus and prepare for long-term academic success. Since 2006, INTO has launched partnerships to internationalize universities in the US, United Kingdom and Asia, including Oregon State University, University of South Florida, Colorado State University, Marshall University, George Mason University, Drew University, Saint Louis University, The University of Alabama at Birmingham, Washington State University, Suffolk University and Illinois State University.
INTO George Mason University is a joint venture between George Mason University and INTO North America. INTO Mason’s unique programs for international students provide tailored academic and English language instruction coupled with a highly supportive learning environment that supports adjustment to life in the U.S. and long-term academic success.
The primary purpose of this position is to provide support services for the health, safety, and well-being of INTO Mason students. This position is an integral part of the Student Services team.
This position reports directly to the Director of Student Experience who reports to the Executive Director of INTO Mason.
Key accountabilities and duties
This is a valued position in a growing, dynamic organization so the duties and responsibilities will change over time, but will include the following:
· Create and implement comprehensive and effective care and support services for INTO Mason students.
· Provide basic guidance and counseling to students, determining and referring students in need to appropriate resources.
· Maintain good working relationships with Counseling Services, Campus Safety, Student Health and other university providers to ensure quality services and advocate for international students.
· Communicate with parents, sponsors, and agents, in compliance with FERPA regulations, regarding health and safety of students of concern.
· Work with INTO Mason academic team to address issues of academic success, including assisting with attendance, academic probation processes, and follow up with students of concern.
· Develop proactive co-curricular programming initiatives to promote student well-being and adjustment.
· Document and maintain confidential student records relative to conduct and well-being.
· Serve on campus committees that pertain to student safety and well-being.
· Guide INTO Mason students through the conduct process and provide them with information on appeal options and legal resources as needed.
· Work closely with Student Conduct and Housing and Residence Life to resolve conduct issues involving INTO Mason students. Facilitate follow-up meetings with students as needed.
· Serve as primary contact for routine, urgent, safety, and well-being issues involving INTO Mason students.
· Coordinate with immigration services (OIPS) on care and emergency issues impacting students’ visa status.
· Review and refine emergency response procedures including policies, communication plans, and collaboration with George Mason University and INTO University Partnership stakeholders.
· Shared responsibility for the INTO Mason Emergency Phone.
Other Student Services Responsibilities
· Provide support during Orientation and arrivals week, and other special events, as needed.
· Oversee quality management of assigned special projects and work to continuously improve offerings.
· Assist other INTO Mason staff and the Director of Student Experience as requested.
Other duties as assigned
Qualifications and Experience
· Undergraduate degree or equivalent education and experience
· Previous work with international students or experience living or working abroad
· Demonstrated ability to work independently and as a productive member of a team
· Willingness and ability to be on-call outside of normal business hours
· Completed coursework in counseling, psychology, and/or student affairs
· Experience working in a diverse environment with non-native English speakers
· Experience working in higher education and/or student affairs
· Prior student advising experience
· Fluency in more than one language, preferably Mandarin Chinese or Arabic
· Familiarity with cross-cultural communication styles and cultural adjustment
Skills and Abilities
· Ability to manage relationships with peers, senior managers, academic stakeholders, parents and students from various cultural backgrounds
· Ability to problem-solve, prioritize, work under pressure and, when necessary, with minimal resources
· Ability to plan, develop, implement and refine systems and processes
· Exceptional attention to detail
· Excellent customer service and presentation skills
· A willingness adapt to a changing global environment
· Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
This position is based at the George Mason University, Fairfax campus.
Exempt position $43k-$48k
How to Apply
To be considered for this position, please click the link below to submit your cover letter and resume:
INTO University Partnerships provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. INTO University Partnerships complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities.
George Mason University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer encouraging diversity.
Medical, Dental, Vision, Life, STDis, LTDis, 401k, Flex Spending, Generous PTO, Paid holidays
Minimum Education Required