Tembo is growing and we’re in need of a motivated and adaptable individual to support our team as Chief of Staff (CoS). As the Managing Director’s right hand person, the CoS will ensure streamlined activities within the organization based on the MD’s priorities, making sure all the trains are running on time and in sync. The CoS will handle day-to-day management of operations and office administration to allow the MD to focus on growing our business. The CoS will be joining a small, energetic, start-up team that is working alongside our clients and partners to support efforts to ignite transformational change. This is an ideal position for someone who works well in a small team, is entrepreneurial and has a love for structure, is highly organized, and an excellent internet sleuth and problem solver. They can expect that no day will be the same, and there are limitless opportunities for creativity, alongside a lot of hard work. They will learn a lot, gain exposure to a large range of organizations and people doing important social sector work, and have the opportunity to grow with the company over time.
Specific responsibilities fall under three buckets:
I. Support for the Managing Director:
- Manage executive contacts and schedule, soup to nuts, including meetings, conferences and appointments
- Act as a liaison between team, Brain Trust, external clients, and other important contacts
- Handle all travel arrangements, and create detailed itineraries for trips
- Prepare and join meetings where appropriate, including research, and taking action points and minutes during meetings
- Coordinate the execution of strategic initiatives, and ensure any issues are addressed properly, efficiently and judiciously, and keep track of progress until resolved
- Act as the gatekeeper of the MD’s time and calendar; prioritize what needs the MD’s attention and where their time is best spent
II. Supporting Tembo’s growth:
- Monitor and analyze news media to keep senior leadership informed and ahead of the curve on major trends and client news
- Own the client development pipeline, managing follow up, maintaining records, establishing processes, and driving weekly development meetings
- Prepare first draft of proposals and conduct business development research
- Plan and organize events such as meetings, workshops, launch events, and client dinners
- Manage and provide support to Tembo’s Brain Trust
- Provide support as needed on client projects, including performing research, assisting with proposals, presentations and final deliverables
III. Building the infrastructure:
- Support web and marketing, including our brand relaunch
- Organize and maintain Tembo’s electronic filing and contact management systems
- Monitor general email inboxes for Tembo and direct to appropriate handlers
- Manage vendor relationships and keep detailed records of relevant accounts, including designers, web developers, IT accounts, etc.
- Research, propose and implement solutions for other infrastructure and system needs as they arise
- Manage office needs, including equipment, ordering supplies, business cards, and troubleshooting as needed.
- You’re passionate about impact-driven work and excited by the opportunity to work with clients who are striving to integrate profit & purpose;
- You have a sharp mind and can follow along in a complex project, but aren’t afraid to ask questions when you need clarity;
- You are well-organized and enjoy bringing structure into the workplace by managing day-to-day tasks and making lists;
- You enjoy building systems and structure from the ground up;
- You are detail-oriented with your work and strive to create a perfect end-product;
- You understand the importance of administrative work, and that no task is too small;
- You have impeccable managerial and interpersonal skills, and a proven track record of effectively interacting with senior management;
- You’re personable, a good listener and connect easily with others, making you a great team player; ·
- You have a high level of proficiency with MS Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Google Suite and Dropbox;
- 3-5 years relevant experience in a professional setting;
- Experience in startup environments highly preferred;
- Excellent organizational, administrative, problem solving, and multi-tasking skills;
- Bachelor’s degree required.
Compensation & Structure:
At Tembo, we believe in a model of apprenticeship. This role will be structured as a one-year, full-time contract, with an opportunity to come on board as a full time employee at the end of the first year. The salary range for this role is $50,000 - 60,000 depending on experience.
Tembo is a unique consultancy, focused exclusively on social impact and motivated solely by our desire to address the challenges and inequities we see in the world. Tembo provides strategic support to philanthropists, companies and non-profits looking to build, enhance or launch a significant social impact effort. Our core team is comprised of a small group of directors and staff that operate as a true extension of our clients team, and is supported by a carefully vetted and uniquely qualified network of functional experts. In this way, we are small, nimble, and flexible, but have tremendous surge capacity that allows us to rapidly pivot and expand depending on the evolving needs of each engagement. For every client engagement, we build bespoke, interdisciplinary teams, and provide the oversight and management needed for flawless execution. We are:
- Motivated solely by impact: our teams have lived and breathed the very inequities we seek to resolve;
- Whip smart: we are intellectually curious, thrive in complexity, and strive for excellence; we have proven problem solving skills and clear desire to keep learning;
- Kind, tuned in and generous. We have high EQ and excellent interpersonal skills;
- Committed managers: we create the conditions for artistic abandon while; executing projects with the rigor of a mathematician;
- Exceptionally organized, we pay careful attention to detail, are process-oriented, and willing to jump in on any task at hand to make the work happen;
- Truly diverse: in talent, expertise and functional skill-sets, which allows our clients to accelerate their aspirations.