District of Columbia
Administrative Assistant, Managed Organizations (Washington, DC)
You are mission driven and action oriented. You love to get involved, and work as part of a team to accomplish something great. Any job is your job if it helps the team succeed, and you thrive on variety. Today, you’re looking for a role where you can use those traits to make a real difference in the world by advancing the most important social issues facing humanity today.
If that sounds like you, Arabella Advisors can’t wait to meet you.
We are looking for an organized, detail-oriented and highly motivated self-starter to support internal operations related to our efforts to launch and manage innovative social sector projects. If you want the opportunity to work with a fast-growing and entrepreneurial team reshaping the charitable sector, then this job is for you.
Administrative Support (70-80%)
- Managing incoming correspondence, including mail, general email, voicemail for various non-profit clients
- Researching unidentified donations to determine appropriate project designation, including contacting donor
- Enter senior leadership’s time accurately in time reporting system
- Reviewing and reconciling monthly credit card reports
- Contributing to the implementation of more efficient processes, systems and technology
- Performing other administrative tasks and special projects as needed
Communications Support (5-10%)
- Working with contributors and composing client newsletters monthly
Project Support (5-10%)
Support grant and contract management processes
- Managing the signatory process, ensuring that documents are signed in a timely fashion
- Assisting with preparation of subgrant dockets, such as running OFAC checks, drafting agreements, etc
- Entering grant, contribution, subgrant and contract information into Salesforce
To be successful in this role you’ll need:
- Associate’s Degree and two years’ work experience or Bachelor’s Degree
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Strong entrepreneurial spirit and resourcefulness in problem solving
- Superior attention to detail
- Outstanding organization and prioritization skills - ability to manage multiple demands, projects and deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- High level of computer proficiency, particularly with the Microsoft Office Suite
- Experience or interest in philanthropy, nonprofits, foundation operations and management
Other Highly Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Up to two years of experience in an administrative support role
- Experience with Salesforce, database programs, intranets and web-based communication tools
Our Core Competencies:
- [Service Excellence] The ability to provide excellent, reliable service, including the ability to effectively recognize and elevate potential challenges, gather the information necessary to create and carry out solutions, and support those solutions with clear communications and thorough follow up.
- [Project and Task Management] The ability to manage time, resources, and priorities to complete tasks on time with high-quality results
- [Stakeholder Management] The ability to be a positive and professional liaison for stakeholders such as clients, team members, and senior leaders, including understanding how the role relates to those stakeholders and how to gather information and resources from them in order to achieve certain goals
- [Communication] The ability to communicate clearly, concisely, and professionally to various audiences over various mediums.
- [Collaboration] The ability to effectively collaborate, including a willingness to go above and beyond to help the team achieve goals, solicit others’ perspectives, share knowledge, and participate in activities that support diversity and inclusion
- [Continuous Learning] A demonstrated eagerness to learn and take on new challenges, including an openness to direction and feedback and a willingness to ask questions
- [Resourcefulness] The ability to take ownership and be creative and solutions-oriented when encountering challenges that don’t have obvious answers, and to be resilient when things become difficult
About Arabella Advisors
Arabella Advisors helps foundations, philanthropists and investors who are serious about impact achieve the greatest good with their resources. We work on issues ranging from the social and economic advancement of women and girls, and conservation of our climate and planet, to reducing poverty and inequity in the United States and around the world. Our staff members are mission-driven and action-oriented, and have a unique combination of experience in philanthropy, business, nonprofits, government, finance, law, and other fields. We combine creative, strategic thinking with knowledge and networks developed through decades of hands-on experience. The fastest-growing philanthropic advisory firm in the nation, Arabella is also a certified B Corporation.
About Arabella’s Managed Organizations Team
Arabella Advisors provides operations and management support to multiple nonprofit organizations, including the New Venture Fund, the Windward Fund, and the Hopewell Fund—all 501(c)(3) public charities—and the Sixteen Thirty Fund, a 501(c)(4).These managed organizations house new and innovative public interest projects and nonprofits, as well as coordinate collaborative initiatives between donors and administer grants programs. This type of structure is commonly referred to as fiscal sponsorship, and candidates are highly encouraged to research fiscal sponsorship prior to a first interview. The managed organizations provide support to a diverse range of projects, including many focused on conservation, global health, and civic engagement.
Working with Us
We are committed to having a passion-driven, inclusive, transparent, collaborative, healthy, and fun culture. We invite you to visit our careers website to learn more.
To encourage work/life balance we offer flexible work options. Our office is an open space with cubicles and standing desks and informal work areas. Our salaries are closer to the range of a nonprofit and our benefits are excellent. You’ll start with three weeks of vacation, 80 hours of personal time, and 20 hours of paid time to volunteer at an organization of your choice. In addition to six federal holidays, you get to pick four more from a list of inclusive religious holidays and your birthday.
We have a competitive health package that includes medical, vision, dental, and prescription insurance. We also provide funds for professional development, a fitness benefit, and cover part of your personal cell phone plan.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Submit a resume and a one-page cover letter online. The cover letter should address why you’re excited to work at Arabella and why you’re qualified for this specific job.
We value diversity and inclusion and encourage all qualified people to apply. If we can make this easier through accommodation in the recruitment process, please let us know.
While Arabella is open to individuals from various locations applying to join our team, please note that we generally are unable to pay for relocation expenses.
We will review applications as they are received and look forward to hearing from you.