Elevate is a grant-writing firm that works with nearly 100 nonprofit organizations around the country. Our team of 60 full-time staff has extensive experience with grant writing, prospect identification and research, as well as crafting meaningful cultivation, stewardship, and resource development strategies.
We are pleased to be hiring a Vice President of Finance & Operations to join our 4-person management team. This position will also add executive-level leadership to our 6-person Operations team. This role is ideal for a leader who shares Elevate’s vision that progress is possible and that nonprofits are essential to achieving social justice and helping communities thrive.
Ideal candidates will be established operations and finance professionals with exceptional judgement, integrity, and management experience who understand how effective policies, practices, and procedures allow staff to do their best work.
We are a relatively-young organization, founded in 2013. The focus of this position is three-fold: convening our four-person Management Team to set, track and achieve annual and long-term strategic priorities; providing financial oversight and leadership; and providing operational oversight and leadership. At Elevate, our operations team is responsible for the company’s technology; data and information assets; compliance and risk management; office space (which is currently virtual during the pandemic); and internal and external communications. While this position will collaborate closely with Elevate’s Vice President of Personnel, personnel and HR-related oversight and administration are not included in this role.
Specifically, we are seeking someone who will:
- Convene Elevate’s 4-person Management Team for annual and long-term planning; tracking and reporting on progress to goals; and facilitating routine and strategic decision-making.
- Provide day-to-day oversight over Elevate financial operations, with the support of Elevate’s Finance & Operations Manager, external bookkeeping firm, and tax accounting firm.
- Provide day-to-day oversight over Elevate operations, with the support of Elevate’s Data Associate; Business Development & Operations Assistant; and Marketing Director, as well as numerous external vendors.
- Lead organizational-wide annual planning and reporting, including overseeing internal data collection.
- Lead Elevate’s risk-mitigation strategies, including convening its Continuity of Operations & Elevate’s Emergency Preparedness Committee as needed.
- Support Elevate’s Management team and staff to incorporate equity, inclusion, diversity, and anti-racism into our internal work and external work with vendors and partners.
- Support our efforts to transition to a more distributed workforce due to the COVID-19 pandemic, including supporting operations and technology initiatives that foster remote community.
- Foster a positive, creative, and affirming culture.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
As Elevate’s Vice President of Finance & Operations, you will:
- Serve as a member of Elevate’s 4-person Management team, cultivating strong relationships across the organization; leading organizational development projects; providing operational oversight; contributing to an inclusive and high-performing management team; and facilitating long-range planning;
- Convene Elevate’s 4-person Management team for regular meetings, information sharing, annual planning, tracking progress to goals, and short and long-term decision making. This includes leading an annual organizational planning process to determine key organizational goals and priorities and create systems for alignment and accountability.
- Provide oversight and leadership of Elevate’s Finance department, which creates and manages Elevate’s annual budget, oversees all revenue and expenses, and sets finance policies. This includes supervising Elevate’s Finance & Operations Manager and providing oversight on finance-related administrative activities. Elevate uses Quickbooks Online and Bill.com. Related responsibilities include:
- Develop and recommend financial plans for the CEO’s consideration;
- Create near-term and long-range finance strategies that leverage and build upon Elevate’s strengths and values;
- Lead regular finance meetings to ensure finance staff are fulfilling their job responsibilities and have the support they need.
- Provide oversight and leadership of Elevate’s Operations department. This includes:
- Oversight of all technology assets and initiatives, including software and hardware. Elevate works with an external technology support firm.
- Oversight of all data and information assets. Elevate uses a Salesforce database; has a 5-person Data Team; and has a full-time Data Associate.
- Oversight of all compliance and risk management, which includes legal compliance with all state and federal laws; insurance; managing Elevate’s Emergency Preparedness Committee; and incorporating risk-management into decision-making and annual planning. Elevate works with exceptional legal and insurance partners.
- Oversight of all office space and office assets. Elevate is currently working virtually during the pandemic.
- Oversight of internal and external communications, with the support of a Marketing Director and Operations Assistant.
- Lead regular operations meetings to ensure operations staff are fulfilling their job responsibilities and have the support they need.
- Oversee the primary liaison, or serve as the primary liaison, with Elevate’s operations-related vendors.
- Plan and coordinate Elevate’s twice-monthly All Staff Meetings to align with Elevate’s goals, values, and communication priorities, with support and input from across the organization.
- Support continuous improvement initiatives at Elevate, including identifying best practices and improving internal systems with an eye toward future needs and budget realities.
- Provide oversight and leadership of Elevate’s internal and external communications, including supervising Elevate’s Marketing Director and Business Development & Operations Assistant to send routine and special communications to staff, and supervise Elevate’s marketing initiatives, social media, and external communications.
- Provide internal leadership and external representation of Elevate. This includes:
- Serving as a mentor and coach to staff; providing visible and accessible leadership; and owning the strategy and coordination of internal communication;
- Maintain a work culture that values flexibility, work-life balance, professional development to attract, retain, and maintain a diverse staff;
- Protect and strengthen Elevate’s brand;
- Represent Elevate at meetings and events as a leader in management and business practices - seeking opportunities that highlight Elevate’s values.
Ideal Candidates Will:
- Demonstrate exceptional judgment and integrity;
- Be a operations and finance professional with significant experience working at similarly-sized nonprofits or businesses;
- Have experience overseeing all financial controls, processes, and approvals at a nonprofit or small business;
- Have experience overseeing effective operations department at a nonprofit or small business;
- Have a demonstrated record managing staff and building collaborative and high-performing teams;
- Have experience developing policies and procedures in a way that provides greater communication, coordination, and cohesion across diverse functions and teams;
- Have a strong track record of successful project management;
- Have training in organizational design, or experience with organizational growth and change projects;
- Have exceptional interpersonal communication skills, both verbal and written, and the ability to connect with staff at all levels—within a virtual work environment.
Elevate provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment, without regard to race, creed, ancestry, citizenship, religion, color, gender, gender identity, gender expression, family responsibilities, age, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as a victim of domestic violence, marital status, disability, personal appearance or any other protected characteristic or status under applicable federal, state and local laws. If you require reasonable accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) for any part of the application process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please submit a Resume and Cover Letter through Elevate's BambooHR application portal.
NOTE: We use BambooHR to communicate with our applicants throughout the hiring process. Please take a moment to add emails from @app.bamboohr.com as a safe sender before submitting your application. If you do not, emails may be directed to your spam folder, or may not reach you at all.