Luminary Labs is seeking a full-time designer to work across our strategy and innovation programs, partnering closely with our consulting team to inspire and engage executive audiences. This role will also support marketing efforts by contributing to the development of Luminary Labs’ thought leadership and branding.
A strategic thinker with a clean design aesthetic, you approach design as a toolkit—deploying it in a range of ways across a variety of projects, from digging into business challenges and developing a big-picture approach to understanding your audience and uncovering nuanced insights. You are a multi-disciplinary designer, familiar with graphic design, experience design, and design research. Your craftsmanship is exceptional, and you take pride in translating complex subjects into compelling stories for executive audiences—both off and online (PowerPoint is not a dirty word). You play well with others, collaborating across teams and subjects fluidly.
You care about the impact your work has on the world and want a career that is both high-performance and meaningful. You’re looking for the opportunity to contribute to a larger vision, discover new ways to tell stories, and flex a variety of design muscles, while building towards a leadership role that would involve owning the design strategy.
People love to have you on their team. You love to be part of a team.
Luminary Labs develops strategies and innovation systems for Fortune 500, non-profit, and government leaders seeking to adapt their organizations to the technological, economic, political, and social norms of the 21st century.
Our team works closely with organizations such as Humanity United, Robert Wood Johnson, Planned Parenthood Federation of America, TEDMED, AARP, FDA, NASA, and the U.S. Department of Education to address the problems that matter, including stemming chronic disease, pathogen detection, the future of work, closing the skill gap, digital transformation, eradicating labor trafficking, the advancement of science, piloting programs, and moonshot investment thesis formation.
Role and Responsibilities
As a designer at Luminary Labs, you will join the Design & Insights team and be responsible for both client-facing as well as internal Luminary Labs projects.
- Storytelling: Work with our consulting team to design high-quality client deliverables through different forms of storytelling (e.g., presentations, digital assets, infographics, illustrations, data visualizations), delivering flawless execution to client standards, while continuing to exemplify a “Luminary” feel.
- Ideation: Bring a human-centered design perspective to all client work, collaborating with consulting staff to develop a creative vision and support divergent, generative thinking.
- Workshops and research: Design and conduct participatory workshops, stakeholder interviews, user research, and prototyping exercises.
- Synthesis: Work with consulting staff to uncover novel insights from first- or second-hand research—including raw data, surveys, interview testimonials, and readings.
- Marketing: Collaborate with our marketing and thought leadership teams to develop and express the Luminary Labs brand and capabilities across platforms.
- Brand standards: Shape the Luminary Labs style guide and visual language.
- Skill-building: Support the team in developing their own design skills by sharing knowledge and best practices with the staff and working with colleagues one-on-one.
Desired Skills and Experience
- 5+ years of experience designing for an executive audience, both off and online
- Clean design aesthetic with a strong eye for typography and images
- Experience producing charts, infographics, and data visualizations
- Strong grounding in human-centered design methodology and experience conducting design research
- Highly collaborative; gives and takes direction and feedback well
- Superior attention to detail
- Efficiently delivers on self-directed work
- Comfortable managing freelance talent when appropriate
- Expertise in Microsoft Office (i.e., Word, PowerPoint) and Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator
Does this sound like you?
Send your resume, portfolio, and cover letter to work (at) luminary-labs (dot) com and include “Multidisciplinary Strategic Designer” in the subject line. In your cover letter, show us three relevant examples of your work for an executive audience. Let us know your salary expectations and availability for employment.
Candidates must be authorized to work in the US. No agencies, please.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please email your resume and cover letter as one combined document to email@example.com. In your cover letter, show us three examples of ideas, companies, or teams that you consider to be at the forefront of innovation. If available, also send us examples of your own work or thinking online (blog posts, Slideshare examples). Let us know your availability for employment. Salary expectations are helpful.