Executive Director – All Saints Community Service and Development Corporation (ASCSDC)
- Job posted by Jeffrey Sobel Consulting
Details: Compensation commensurate with experience and education
601 Jackson Street
The All Saints Community Service and Development Corporation (ASCSDC) is a non-profit corporation whose mission is to equip low income children and families with the tools needed to overcome the many barriers they face and to thrive in all aspects of life. The ASCSDC offers a range of programs and services to families living in Hoboken through The Jubilee Center of Hoboken, and also operates two programs in Union City: The Palisades Family Success Center and La Puerta Abierta.
The Jubilee Center (JC) is an afterschool and summer program established in 2003 to provide a safe and creative environment for children from Hoboken’s public housing neighborhoods that broadens their experiences and expands their potential to excel in life. The center provides academic support, mentoring, an arts curriculum, field trips, a nutritious meal each evening, and sports/fitness programs five days/week throughout the school year. In addition, ASCSDC offers a summer camp that includes a wide range of activities (July-August). JC serves about 100 children, 6 to 13 years of age, and their families. Most children attend public school in Hoboken. More than 80% of Center’s funding comes from private donations. This program is where the Executive Director will spend a majority of his or her time.
The Palisades Family Success Center (FSC), in Union City, provides a home-like environment where families can receive information and referrals that connect them to resources in the community. Some of the programs offered at FSC include economic self-sufficiency, and job readiness assistance, help accessing public housing, parent education, and workshops on nutrition, fitness, budgeting and other life skills. FSC serves more than 500 families each year. FSC is part of a statewide network of Family Success Centers funded by the NJ Department of Children and Families.
La Puerta Abierta (LPA) is an afterschool program in Union City serving children from low-income Hispanic families. LPA provides a range of after-school services including help with homework, reading support, fitness and recreational activities, and arts, crafts and music programs. Children are provided with a nutritional snack each day. LPA operates Monday through Friday from 3 PM-6 PM and serves about 45 children and their families. LPA is also funded by the NJ Department of Children and Families.
ASCSDC has an annual total budget of approximately $1,000,000, and is supported by three program directors (JC, LPA, and FSC) and an additional staff of 10, mostly part-time personnel, along with approximately 10 dedicated volunteers at any given time. The ASCSDC Board of Trustees serves to provide fiduciary oversight and assist with fundraising for the organization.
More information about the ASCSDC may be found at www.ascsdc.org.
ASCSDC is seeking an experienced, energetic Executive Director who is passionate about serving children, youth and families and who can embrace our mission.
EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR-POSITION DESCRIPTION
The Executive Director is responsible for the overall management and leadership of the Jubilee Center and for overseeing the administration of FSC and LPA. S/He directly supervises the educational and/or program director at the Jubilee Center, the Registration Manager, Director of FSC and Program Director at LPA and the contracted accountant/bookkeeper. S/He is also responsible for managing the work of fundraising consultants. The Executive Director reports to the Board President. This is a hands-on position responsible for the organization's consistent achievement of its mission and financial objectives.
General Areas of Responsibility
Program Development and Delivery
- Develop program goals in collaboration with staff and Board.
- Oversee all programs, services and activities to ensure that programs are operating at their highest standards.
- Assist in the design and implementation of program evaluations to monitor program implementation and to ensure that each program meets or exceeds its goals.
- Maintain and utilizes a working knowledge of trends in children’s programs.
- Develop and support volunteer programs to promote a mutually benefiting program for ASCSDC/Jubilee Center and volunteers, one that will make the best use of individual skills and facilitate long-term volunteer relationships.
Financial Management and Legal Compliance
- Develop, recommend and monitor annual organizational and program budgets in collaboration with the Board.
- Ensure proper fiscal record keeping and reporting in coordination with the accountant.
- Approve expenditures and ensure funds are disbursed in accordance with operational budgets, contract requirements, and donor designations as appropriate.
- Develop and implement a realistic multi-year fundraising plan, in collaboration with the Board of Trustees, to ensure revenue to support current programs and increase the potential for growth.
- Work with the Board to secure and expand financial support from individuals, foundations and corporations.
- Develop and maintain ongoing positive relationships with major donors (in collaboration with the Board).
- Identify new sources of income in conjunction with the contract grant-writers/ consultants.
- Direct and manage grant-writing consultants.
- Oversee special events
Administrative and Human Resources Management
- Recruit, employ and release all staff, contractors, and volunteers to best support the organization and in compliance with all legal requirements.
- Assign work - delegating appropriate levels of freedom and authority.
- Build a team of staff and volunteers by inspiring, motivating and guiding others toward common goals and professional development based on the needs of the ASCSDC/Jubilee Center.
- Ensure that employees are licensed and credentialed as required, and that appropriate background checks are conducted.
- Ensure compliance with local, state and federal regulations for all programs.
- Oversee the Jubilee Center, Family Success Center and La Puerta Abierta programs and work with the directors and staff of those programs on grants, finances, and general operations.
- Serve as an effective spokesperson for the ASCSDC/Jubilee Center to media, at public events, and on local coordinating/collaboration committees as needed.
- Establish sound working relationships with community groups and organizations that have similar or complementary goals.
- Assure the organization and its mission, programs, and services are consistently presented in a strong, positive image to stakeholders.
- Responsible for the maintenance and up-keep of the Jubilee Center building including:
- Safety, Cleanliness and functioning (including repairs and maintenance) of all aspects of the building and playground
- Licensing and Compliance
- Building Security
- HVAC maintenance
- Ordering of supplies
- Snow removal
- Negotiating and managing vendor contracts
- Meeting safety standards
- Managing building inspections
- Meeting NJ State building licensing requirements
- Assist the Board President in planning the agenda and materials for board meeting.
- Initiate and assist in developing policy recommendations and priorities.
Skills, Experience and Credentials
Bachelor’s Degree required; Master’s Degree in Education, Public Administration, Social Services, Business, or Nonprofit Management strongly preferred and a minimum of five-year’s experience as a nonprofit Executive Director. Other skills and experience desired include:
- Experience working with low-income children and families
- Experience working effectively in a diverse, urban community with diverse populations
- Leadership, management and effective interpersonal skills working with stakeholders, staff and volunteers
- Experience working with nonprofit boards
- Proven success with fund raising from a variety of sources
- Experience cultivating partnerships with sponsors, donors, state funding agencies and other community organizations
- Ability to work effectively with public agencies and officials, and public-school staff
- Experience with nonprofit financial management and budget preparation
- Must be available in the evenings for monthly board meetings, as well as several evenings/weekends per year for special events, and other activities as needed
Please send resume and cover letter via email to email address below.
Minimum Education Required