Reedbuck Road, #05, Lusaka Zambia
Akros – Lusaka, Zambia
Akros is a cutting edge organization that establishes data-driven systems to improve the health and well-being of disadvantaged communities. We pride ourselves in our ground-level knowledge of the service delivery systems where we work, and our ability to provide novel, lasting solutions implemented in developing regions. Our technical emphasis leverages open-source technology for community-led development. Projects range from supporting national Health Information Systems strengthening, to malaria case detection via mobile phone, to electronic data reporting for rural school administrators. The breadth of Akros’ projects has enabled our teams to establish working relationships at the sub-national and community levels in nine out of ten provinces in Zambia (across nearly 40,000 villages) as well as at the central level in Botswana, Ethiopia, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, Rwanda, South Africa, Swaziland and Zimbabwe.
Akros programs intersect many different types of individuals including community based volunteers (community health workers), chiefs and local traditional leaders, and government and partner officials. We aim to ensure the data that are collected through systems we support are the right data, and are understood and interacted with by many different types of people to ensure good decisions are made in how to allocate health, education and other development resources. Akros is seeking a Data Visualization and Use Specialist who will support Akros projects by bringing a good understanding of the value of data, methodologies to support data uptake, a strong understanding of the use of data feedback loops, and familiarity with various data visualization platforms. The Officer will work closely with Akros public health field officers with a broad range of technical backgrounds and will be willing and interested to learn new areas of health, education or other sectors in order to provide the right data use frameworks. Since Akros programs constantly shift and grow, this Associate must be willing and able to independently develop flexible technical solutions that can quickly adapt and scale with little oversight. S/he will work under the oversight of a senior manager based in Lusaka, Zambia.
· Develop data models to support building visualizations and dashboards, and to work with client (government and partner) staff to bolster the efficiency and capacity of in-country data systems with the goal of enabling simple data access and meaningful data learning and use.
· Develop client relationships and networks.
· Work with Akros management and directors to clearly understand client needs and identify, communicate and build solutions that fulfill those needs.
· Scope and develop data dashboards that fulfill client needs.
· Identify and construct data feedback loops which build data interrogation and application.
· Conduct DHIS2 and technology system training.
· Contribute to the organization’s knowledge management and innovation.
· Collate and codify technical knowledge management.
· Write concept notes for new business initiatives.
· Work with Akros management to develop new proposals and respond to grant applications.
· Other duties as assigned
Akros employs passionate, results-orientated self-starters who are willing to take the plunge with us. We are an energetic, fast moving team who often have to divide and conquer to get the job done. We are looking for people to invest in, to learn from, and to share and grow our lessons learned so far. And we are looking for those who can bring new ideas, new perspectives and new bursts of energy and innovation to our team. We have a deep history of people coming to Akros, coming alongside our founders, supporting the same vision they are seeing: to make tangible impact in sustainable ways for the vulnerable populations we are working among. Many past employees or fellows have created a lasting legacy at Akros through their own innovations which we have helped expand, and in some cases take to scale. If you have an idea that is going to create impact on global health and it fits within our wheelhouse - we are willing to help take that idea to fruition.
The appropriate candidate will possess:
· Bachelors degree (required) or Masters degree (preferred) in Epidemiology, Statistics, Informatics, Public Health, or other related focus
· At least 4-5 years supporting complex data analysis, visualization, and use initiatives for health or education programs.
· Demonstrated experience working with government and/or implementing partner staff to successfully achieve program goals in low resource settings.
· Ability to lead in a multicultural environment and motivate other staff to excel.
· Self-starter who will thrive through exemplifying ownership and initiative. Candidate should be highly productive and internally motivated.
· Demonstrated ability to work well against complex and challenging delivery schedules
· Familiarity with DHIS2 database structure and Java Runtime Environments, Open Data Kit, Tableau, KoboToolBox, OpenMRS, iHRIS, Frontline SMS, ArcGIS and/or open source GIS applications, and/or Commcare a plus
· Experience leading technical software trainings, technical documentation, or knowledge management a plus
· Experience in health informatics a plus
· Experience in public health applications, particularly malaria a plus
Location, Term and Travel
This position will be for a period of 12 months. (Extensions may be available contingent upon performance and funding). The position will require about 50% travel to communities that benefit from Akros programs.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Candidates will be interviewed on a rolling basis and are encouraged to apply early. To apply, please submit a cover letter and CV with references to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Application: Data Visualization and Use Specialist” as the email’s subject line.