College Confident is Seeking Part-time/Full-time College Advisor (Brooklyn, NY)
- Job posted by College Confident
College Confident (CC) is seeking applicants for a Full-time and Part-time in school college advising position. Advisors will be responsible for providing assistance to high school juniors and seniors as they navigate their way through the college application process. The work will involve some collaboration with teachers, school administration and representatives from colleges and universities to ensure that we meet the need of every graduating senior. College Advisors will also be required to track student progress throughout the academic school year.
A bit about College Confident:
College Confident is an innovative college access program that motivates public high school students towards economic and social mobility. Our goal is to increase application and matriculation rates for partnering high schools, to secure strong financial aid packages and to foster confidence and leadership skills in college bound students. Our approach fosters outcomes such as increased literacy and college attendance rates for schools and overall community development through the training and hiring of young people to support their schools, peers and community families through the entire college process, including sourcing financial assistance.
About the Position:
A College Counselor essentially guides a student through the entire college admissions process, from satisfying college entrance exam requirements to completing a college application. This could include writing recommendation letters, contacting college admissions offices and providing students with detailed information about the specific colleges they are considering. We have reviewed several job listings for College Counselors and have found the following to be among the core duties and responsibilities.
Required Education: Bachelor's degree Required
Experience: 1 year relevant experience in student advising or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Experience advising students at the highschool level.
College Advising Responsibilities:
- Build and sustain a school-wide culture of attending college (9-12 grade enrollment <475 students)
- Assist students in navigating the college search and application process
- As an active member of key faculty teams, teach, and support critical college preparation curriculum/experiences through Academic Seminar/Advisory classes and special events (e.g. guest speakers, college fairs, college trips)
- Facilitate college admission and financial aid workshops for students and parents
- Track and report key student performance indicators to school leadership on a monthly basis (e.g. student credits, progress toward graduation, college eligibility, college/program applications, college/program acceptances, scholarships)
- Ensure all eligible students apply to a 4-year college program, including a required application to the City Universities of New York.
- Support scholarship search, application, and award processes for students
- Maintain external relationships to bring services or opportunities to the school (e.g. SAT test preparation courses, guest speakers)
- Support and facilitate concurrent enrollment with local colleges, as appropriate
- Follow up with students after graduation (e.g. calls, emails, coordinated Advisor outreach) to identify and problem-solve barriers to college matriculation and other duties as assigned
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To Apply, reply to this posting by sending a copy of your resume, cover letter, and a list of 2-3 references to Natalie Bloomfield and Vicky Liburd at Natalie@collegeconfident.org and firstname.lastname@example.org
In the subject line of your email you must include "College Advisor".
Also, please indicate the following:
1) Earliest possible start date/ Position you are applying to (Full-time or Part-time)
2) Whether you have been fingerprinted by the NYC Dept of Education
3) Whether you have any past experience working with high school students and in what capacity.