Details: based on experience
Wellspring Philanthropic Fund seeks an Associate to join the Perspective Fund (PF) team. The PF Associate will have demonstrated experience in impact and outreach campaigns for documentaries and will report to the Senior Program Officer of Special Initiatives. The PF Associate will support strategic planning, grantmaking, portfolio management and implementation of PF strategy.
Perspective Fund provides grant support to independently-produced documentary films that highlight social justice and human rights and align with our priority areas. Through our grantmaking, we seek to support documentaries that raise awareness, connect people, inspire action, and create impact around human rights and social justice.
The PF Associate will coordinate a limited number of direct film grantee relationships, under the guidance of the Senior Program Officer and co-founders, and will provide programmatic, research and administrative support for the team of three working.
Program/Impact and Outreach Campaigns for Documentaries
· Provide feedback on film cuts/works in progress/audience engagement strategies, impact campaigns and performing due diligence throughout the grant period.
· Collaborate with PF staff to curate, plan and produce events and grantee/field convenings; represent PF at film festivals and events.
· In consultation with Senior Program Officer, the PF Associate will prepare internal grant recommendations and reports on PF strategy progress, impact and plan adjustments.
· Organize and engage in convenings, partnerships, co-funding, and other strategies with peer funders to promote a common grantmaking agenda to advance PF strategy and field learning.
· Collaborate broadly and communicate with internal teams; capture and share knowledge of the PF’s learning and impact; and participate in learning and evaluation activities to guide the evolution of PF.
· Advise grantees on key impact and outreach campaigns and connect grantees with opportunities, resources, and other actors in the field.
· Under the guidance of the co-founders and Senior Program Officer, and in collaboration with the rest of the PF team, develop, refine, and implement grantmaking priorities and strategic approaches around film as a tool for social change.
· Monitor developments in the field to identify emerging needs, gaps, and opportunities in alignment with approved program strategy and how to best respond.
· Educate donors, other staff members, and public audiences on issues related to documentary and media for social change.
· Perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
· Participate in all aspects of grantmaking, including initial screening of potential grantees, analyzing background information; soliciting and developing funding proposals; preparing grant recommendations; serving as focal point on select grantee relationships; conducting site visits.
· Build relationships with current and potential grantees. Maintain regular contact with grantees about programming.
· Liaise with grantee organizations on issues related to the grants process, due diligence requests, reporting and other data gathering for the portfolio.
· Conduct research related to field developments, opportunities related to grantmaking, and other topics requested by team.
· Assist the Senior Program Officer with drafting of summaries and analysis of grant proposals.
· Assist the team with tracking grantee work and outcomes, including reviewing grant reports, participating in meetings with grantees, and reading and tracking news and research.
· Track and maintain grantee progress for reporting and communications.
Research, Communications and Administrative
· Research and prepare educational materials and other information including presentation slides, newsletters and annual report.
· Participate in team presentations as needed.
· Assist team with planning and coordinating meetings, travel, workshops and convenings; make logistical arrangements as needed; manage consultant contracts.
· Support strategic planning, reflection and learning processes, including through research, analysis, preparation of materials, and note taking.
· Participate with other staff on internal Wellspring committees and working groups as needed.
· Supervise consultants for specific projects as needed.
· Other duties as needed.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILL REQUIREMENTS
· 3 to 5 years of professional experience in impact/outreach campaigns for documentaries for social change. This could be as a film producer, executive producer, or related profession.
· Strong understanding for all phases of film production, finance, distribution and impact, and provision of editorial and strategic support.
· Familiarity with and commitment to human rights and social justice issues.
· Excellent and demonstrated English-language writing and editing skills.
· Excellent research, analytic and organizational abilities.
· Knowledge of Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
· Comfort with financial information, budgets and databases.
· Ability to remain flexible, work independently and in a team, and manage one’s own time.
· Ability to work in a cross-cultural, team environment.
· Ability to handle confidential information with complete discretion.
· Willingness to learn, be open to new ideas, and have fun.
· Extensive network and connections in the documentary and impact producing fields.
· Knowledge of emerging digital and multi-platform storytelling practices globally.
· Experience working or studying in a developing country.
· Proficient in a second language a plus.
Wellspring offers a very generous benefits package including payment of 100% of health insurance premiums for employees (and 80% of premiums for spouses, domestic partners, and qualified family members). Wellspring also offers other benefits including life insurance, long‐term disability protection, a group 401(k) retirement plan (with an employer match), support for continuing education, up to $5,250 in annual student loan repayment OR college savings assistance for dependents, and is committed to providing transgender‐inclusive healthcare.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
For employment consideration, please submit application to email@example.com. Subject Line: “[Your name]— Perspective Fund Associate.” All applications must include:
1. a resumé;
2. a thoughtful cover letter, including how you became aware of this opportunity (i.e. job portal, referral, etc.) and salary requirements (must specify actual amount and range); and
3. one writing sample that shows your experience in social justice documentary film (in PDF format); this could also include a work sample that shows your experience in impact documentary and outreach campaigns. Visual samples are accepted.
Only applications that include these materials will be reviewed and considered.
No phone calls please.
NOTE: At this time, our preference is that applicants have work authorization to work in the United States. If you need sponsorship for a US work visa, please let us know in your cover letter.