District of Columbia
You are mission-driven and action-oriented. You love to get involved and work as part of a team to accomplish something great. Any job is your job if it helps the team succeed, and you thrive on variety. Today, you’re looking for a role where you can use those traits to make a real difference in the world by advancing the most important social issues facing humanity today.
If that sounds like you, Arabella Advisors can’t wait to meet you.
Help build one of the country’s fastest-growing nonprofits. The treasurer plays a lead role in assisting the managed organizations during the budget and forecasting, financial planning and cash management while limiting risks to the organization. The successful applicant will have previous experience in risk management, corporate financial management and will be an integral part of maintaining positive relationships with banks and financial institutions. The Treasurer will work closely with MO Finance management as well as the Boards of Directors and management of the managed organizations.
- Review and approve managed organization disbursements transactions in accordance with board approved policies
- Oversee the treasury and risk management projects of the managed organizations
- Oversee and implement best practices over the monthly bank reconciliation process
- Work with financial institution(s) on various investment activities; including investment return analysis and forecasting
- Manage public charities credit health and anticipate managed organizations borrowing needs (if applicable) and available funds for investment
- Assist in developing an annual budget for the managed organizations and create long-term projections based on organizational needs
- Maintain an efficient system of policies that adequately manage treasury and risk management activities
- Advise CFO, SD of Finance and those charged with governance of the managed organizations as to loans, liquidity and investments
- Provide bank account administration and services support for managed organization banking platform(s)
- Lead the annual insurance renewal process for the managed organizations
To Be Successful in This Role, You’ll Need:
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting/finance/nonprofit administration
- Professional certification in treasury management (e.g., CTP designation)
- Familiarity with knowledge of banking industry rules and regulations
- Experiences in processing and analyzing foreign transactions and currency conversions
- Six or more years of relevant professional experience in nonprofit organizations, including financial management
- Proficiency with accounting software (Microsoft Dynamics GP/SSRS/Management Reporter preferred) and Excel spreadsheets
- Experience managing staff who are responsible for cash management, deposit and payment processes
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy
- Solid analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to manage and meet deadlines for multiple projects simultaneously
- Excellent verbal and written communication, including the ability to communicate complex financial matters to non-financial personnel
- Ability to work within multi-functional teams
Other Highly Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree in accounting/finance/nonprofit administration
- Experience in philanthropic or consulting environments
Our Core Competencies:
- The ability to provide excellent service, including being able to effectively guide teams to achieve service standards and carry out strategy, and identify service offering gaps and recommend and/or drive improvements
- The ability to manage resources across team to ensure projects and goals are achieved, approve work plan changes and final deliverables, and communicate projects’ progress with critical stakeholders
- The ability to establish and manage effective relationships with diverse stakeholders across the firm, including executive-level colleagues, and to foster a culture of courteous professional interactions
- The ability to effectively communicate critical firm-wide messages, and to lead others in managing challenging conversations and developing complex communication skills
- The ability to model and foster a team-wide culture of inclusion, collaboration, and knowledge sharing; to demonstrate and model appreciation for significant team contributions; and to mediate challenging interpersonal conflicts
- The ability to regularly engage in leadership development activities, and lead firm-wide initiatives that improve firm-wide learning
- The ability to foster a team culture that encourages creative problem solving, and to ensure teams have resources and training to overcome complex challenges
About Arabella Advisors
Arabella Advisors helps foundations, philanthropists and investors who are serious about impact achieve the greatest good with their resources. We work on issues ranging from the social and economic advancement of women and girls, and conservation of our climate and planet, to reducing poverty and inequity in the United States and around the world. Our staff members are mission-driven and action-oriented, and have a unique combination of experience in philanthropy, business, nonprofits, government, finance, law, and other fields. We combine creative, strategic thinking with knowledge and networks developed through decades of hands-on experience. The fastest-growing philanthropic advisory firm in the nation, Arabella is also a certified B Corporation.
About Arabella’s Managed Organizations Team
Arabella Advisors provides operations and management support to multiple public charities, including those charities with 501(c)(3) and 501(c)(4) designations. These managed organizations house new and innovative public interest projects and nonprofit activities, as well as coordinate collaborative initiatives between donors and administer grants programs. This type of structure is commonly referred to as fiscal sponsorship, and candidates are highly encouraged to research fiscal sponsorship prior to a first interview. The managed organizations provide support to a diverse range of projects, including many focused on conservation and global health. The organizations have also provided fiscal sponsorship to projects focused on voter registration, public policy, education, disaster recovery, and music and the arts.
We are committed to having a passion-driven, inclusive, transparent, collaborative, healthy, and fun culture. We invite you to visit our careers page to learn more.
To encourage work/life balance, we offer flexible work options. Our office is an open space with cubicles and standing desks and informal work areas. Our salaries are closer to the range of a nonprofit and our benefits are excellent. You’ll start with three weeks of vacation, 80 hours of personal time, and 20 hours of paid time to volunteer at an organization of your choice. In addition to six federal holidays, you get to pick four more from a list of inclusive religious holidays and your birthday.
We have a competitive health package that includes medical, vision, dental, and prescription insurance. We also provide funds for professional development, a fitness benefit, and cover part of your personal cell phone plan.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Submit a resume and a one-page cover letter online. The cover letter should address why you’re excited to work at Arabella and why you’re qualified for this specific job.
We value diversity and inclusion and encourage all qualified people to apply. If we can make this easier through accommodation in the recruitment process, please let us know.
While Arabella is open to individuals from various locations applying to join our team, please note that we generally are unable to pay for relocation expenses.
We will review applications as they are received and look forward to hearing from you.