Assistant Director of Evaluation and Research
- Job posted by SmartStart Evaluation and Research, Inc.
Details: Commensurate with degree, skills or experience as a project manager and experience in business, as well as number of years’ experience working in a senior level position as an evaluator or social science researcher.
4482 Barranca Parkway
Summary of Position:
Manage the operations of more than one team and the business development, specifically the proposal development associated with new business opportunities.
Reports to: Director of Operations and Business Development
Duties and Responsibilities:
Client relationship and operations management
- Maintain and improve client relationships through work with SEs and CEO/President.
- Assign new projects to teams to ensure even distribution of work.
- Develop project scopes of work in collaboration with the senior evaluator when proposals are funded.
- Transition new projects onto a team by attending first meetings with clients and other stakeholders
- Assist with project set-up such as evaluation plans and IRB applications.
- Attend funder and project conferences and trainings as appropriate, including project strategic planning meetings, site visits, and conducting field work where appropriate.
- Step in and troubleshoot if problems occur on projects and work directly on project management with SEs in similar capacity. Assist teams to resolve issues that arise with projects and/or clients.
- Assist with reviewing deliverables including surveys, reports, briefs, literature reviews, etc. before they are sent by senior evaluators to clients or funders.
- Actively work with SEs to ensure all deliverables and invoices are sent on time.
- Mentor and train evaluation employees as appropriate.
- Work with CEO/President and Director to ensure operational decisions impacting company finances are communicated and coordinated.
Business Development opportunities
- Assist the CEO/President, Director, and grant writer to identify, select, and recruit evaluators to develop proposals.
- Provide feedback to individuals working on proposals and the grant writer for the initial phase of the evaluation design, and then review final proposals before they are submitted.
- Assist with grant management and organization.
- Respond to evaluation quote requests via phone or email, work with CEO/President and Director to develop estimates, and lead follow-up calls/interviews.
- Respond to NSF and other proposal partnership requests via phone or email, identify evaluators to develop evaluation plans, and coordinate communication with proposal writers. Review evaluation plans before they are sent to the proposal writers.
- Help proposal writers develop measurable goals, and develop the evaluation plan for the proposal, letter of commitment, and MOU.
- Maintain current CV, NSF and NIH-formatted biosketches, NSF Collaborators and Other Affiliations form, and NSF Current and Pending Support form.
- Assist with reviewing and ensuring proposal submissions, track funding status, and maintain corresponding files.
- Seek out opportunities in technical area of interest, and manage the appropriate business development teams associated with such.
Employee management - Evaluation and grant employees
- Assist with updating evaluator and grant writer job flyers and paper screen candidates.
- Interview all senior evaluators and grant employees.
- Meet with new senior/associate evaluators and grant employees as an orientation to responsibilities.
- Oversee training and support of new senior/associate evaluator and grant employees.
- Assist with conducting senior evaluators’ and grant employees’ performance evaluations.
- Along with CEO/President and Director review performance evaluation forms for all employees prior to the performance evaluation meeting.
- Discuss and help resolve employee interpersonal concerns.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Masters required, PhD preferred
- At least 6 years professional full-time experience in program evaluation, quantitative and qualitative research design and analysis.
- At least 4 years experience as a project manager in a research, consulting, or social service environment.
- Demonstrated experience with project planning, project direction, fiscal management, client relationships, staff supervision, report preparation, oral presentations, and proposal development.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
Proficiency in SPSS/Stata/R and Excel and statistical analysis methods is required.
Familiarity with experimental and quasi-experimental research and evaluation methods.
Experience with qualitative analysis software such as NVivo and Dedoose and methods.
Experience conducting evaluation and research writing in academic and applied contexts.
Experience conducting experimental and quasi-experimental evaluation designs.
Experience in project management including monitoring multiple timelines, deadlines, and budgets.
Experience conceptualizing program theory through the use of logic models, theories of change, or system maps.
Experience using online survey management platforms (ie. Survey Gizmo, Qualtrics).
Experience developing evaluation forms, surveys, and focus group and interview protocols.
Strong Microsoft Word skills, excellent writing, editing, and proofreading skills.
Able to manage multiple large-scale, multi-faceted projects and meet deadlines.
A solid work ethic, dependable, focused.
Outstanding organizational and time management skills, detailed orientated.
Able to seek out resources to locate and analyze data from secondary data sources.
Fast learner with a quick mind.
Able to provide leadership, mentoring, direction, supervision, and training to evaluation associates and assistants.
Able to lead a team, delegate responsibilities, and hold others accountable.
Able to work independently to plan project tasks in advance and identify steps leading to project completion.
An upbeat person with excellent communication and interpersonal skills who can maintain a positive work environment and positive, professional interactions with clients.
Able to flex work schedule based on travel and online conferencing responsibilities.
Able to think outside the box and identify the most efficient methods.
Able to take direction, learn from mistakes, and make changes.
Must hold a valid driver’s license to drive in the USA and own a vehicle or obtain own transportation to work.
If employee does not own a vehicle, must be willing to pay rental car/uber/taxi in excess of allowable mileage to and from client meetings and conferences.
SmartStart offers a competitive benefits package to all full-time employees including:
Health, dental, and vision benefits
10 paid holidays per calendar year
401K retirement plan
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
If interested, email cover letter, CV, references, and contact information to:
Subject line: Assistant Director