District of Columbia
Elevate's Grant Writers provide the capacity that drives our nonprofit clients forward. Working with 4-6 of our clients at a time, they research funding opportunities, draft grants and reports, and submit to funders. Grant Writers work within team structures that provide expertise and fundraising capacity to clients. Through this team structure, Grant Writers benefit from the mentorship of several experienced fundraisers, and have opportunities for professional development and advancement within Elevate.
Candidates must have at least 1-2 years of experience writing and submitting grants for nonprofits or equivalent experience, such as multiple internships that required grant writing research, writing, and submission. We seek candidates with experience in diverse issue areas, and regularly require writers with experience fundraising in social service, education, environment, and advocacy sectors. An interest in writing for multiple issue areas and sectors is recommended.
The position is fast-paced and growth-oriented. It provides meaningful, challenging work to quickly build your knowledge of the nonprofit sector and your skill in institutional fundraising. Candidates must demonstrate some commitment to a career in grant writing and development.
This is an excellent opportunity for the right person. As a Grant Writer at Elevate, you will:
- Strengthen the valuable skill of writing grants for nonprofits of many sizes and issue areas;
- Learn the best-practices of program design and evaluation;
- Build expertise in nonprofit fundraising strategy and budgeting;
- Benefit from mentorship and training tailored to your professional development goals.
Your responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Represent Elevate’s values
- Work in a collaborative nature with Project Coordinators and team Directors to advance the long term fundraising goals of nonprofit clients
- Work with Project Coordinators to ensure accuracy of grant calendar
- Write strategic grants and reports that build client confidence and help nonprofit organizations reach their fundraising goals
- Research new funding opportunities on an ongoing basis and prepare notes and strategic recommendations for the client
- Communicate continually with nonprofit leaders, program staff, and finance staff (either in person or by phone) to gather applicable program and organizational information to write and submit proposals
- Review client edits
- Collect and create grant attachments for submission
- Submit requests to funders
- See nonprofit programs in action and support clients by attending fundraising events (as applicable)
- Participate in regular trainings and peer-to-peer learning opportunities with fellow Grant Writers
Ideal Candidates Will:
- Have 1-2 years of experience grant writing or equivalent internship/fellowship experience;
- Be seeking a career in nonprofit development with a focus on institutional fundraising;
- Write excellent, persuasive prose that is both concise and precise;
- Take ownership of entire projects and demonstrate initiative to ensure a high-quality final product;
- Be able to focus in an open-office environment and be comfortable with remote communications with multiple team members and clients;
- Participate and be engaged in Elevate’s ongoing growth and culture;
- Value highly-professional communication skills;
- Be organized and detail-oriented;
- Invite and provide constructive feedback.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please apply online via Elevate's hiring site: