Founded in 2012, Upper West Strategies is a consultancy focused on driving economic opportunity at the intersection of government/education, private industry, the tech sector and mission-driven organizations.
We are seeking a full-time Program Coordinator to play a leading role in managing the LifeSci NYC Internship Program in New York City. It is a great opportunity to play an important role on this prominent NYC initiative.
- Personable -- able to develop and maintain relationships with 100+ program partners and with students
- Extremely tech savvy. Comfortable with collaboration tools and with a range of software including Google Suite (Docs, Sheets, Slides), Slack, and other software. Comfortable learning and implementing new software.
- Extremely detail oriented and able to juggle multiple initiatives at one time
- Self-starter able to work independently in rapid-paced environment
- Comfortable working in and bringing structure to team environment
- Passionate about supporting and providing perspective on effort to attract candidates that reflect the diversity of New York City
- Familiar with life sciences a plus, ideally with experience working in a lab
- Good business judgment
- Excellent communication skills. Ideally have marketing, social media, PR, or communications experience
- Ability to set and meet goals with deadlines
- Comfortable working in shared workspace and remotely
- Graphic design skills a plus
Will report to Program Director. Day-to-day responsibilities will vary based on program needs but will include the following:
General Program Support
- Ensure timely completion of program deliverables
- Track program progress and develop reports
- Support Program Director
Internship Facilitation Including Placing Students
- Serve as resident expert and manager of online application platform, including being primary contact with WizeHive (tech provider), performing necessary configurations, and troubleshooting when needed
- Assist Program Director with student selection process
- Take lead day-to-day role in managing matching process to ensure students are hired by hosts into suitable internships
- Anticipate and communicate roadblocks to Program Director in timely manner & proactively identify solutions
- Support Program Director with on-boarding students and preparing on-boarding materials
Training & Curriculum
- Support Program Director with development and execution of training and curriculum activities, including “boot camp” 3-day intensive training program at beginning of internship period
- Help plan and coordinate other activities during internship period including career panel events, networking and social events, workplace tours
Marketing / Outreach
- Support development of marketing materials for program to attract students and hosts
- Assist with program communications (emails / blog posts)
- Write social media posts on ongoing basis
- Support ongoing maintenance of program website; report on site usage
Academic and Host Partnerships
- Support university partnerships and recruitment activities throughout New York City
- Attend career fairs, present at info sessions and other student events
- Work with student applicants to help with resumes, cover letters, and interviewing skills
- Provide support to program hosts as needed
Events / Other
- Coordinate welcoming reception at the beginning of summer and final reception at the end of summer
- Help plan Meetup events with Program Director
- Support day-to-day program activities and needs during Internship Program May-August, i.e. enrichment events, following up and coordinating with hosts on intern performance
- Support program measurement and evaluation including refinement of survey forms, deployment of surveys, survey follow up, data collection, data analysis, writing of report
- Attend and provide support at other program and industry events and meetings
- Manage relationships with program alumni
- Prepare program reports
What Will Success Look Like?
A successful Program Coordinator will facilitate an effective process for matching students with hosts, will ensure that students and hosts are properly prepared for internships, and will manage program activities and details to ensure a well-functioning program and team.
Apply on Idealist or send resume and cover letter with salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org.