Details: Compensation is competitive and commensurate with experience.
De La Salle Academy (www.delasalleacademy.org) is an extraordinary educational institution. Located in midtown Manhattan, this independent middle school (grades 6-8) offers opportunities to and opens doors for underserved children and their families from the five boroughs of New York City. Founded by Brother Brian Carty in 1984, the school has its philosophical roots in the teachings of Saint John Baptist De La Salle, the founder of the Christian Brothers and the patron saint of teachers. De La Salle is a “faith filled” but entirely nonsectarian school. Admission, while selective, is needs blind and 100% of the students receive financial aid. Academics are rigorous and, as a result, the students go on to prestigious private and specialty public schools in New York and beyond. The trajectory for 98% of De La Salle graduates is typically competitive private and public colleges and universities, including the Ivy League; and about 94% of all students finish a four-year degree within five years. Currently, there are 170 students and a faculty of approximately 20. De La Salle is a member of NYSAIS (New York State Association of Independent Schools).
Now on the cusp of its 35th year, De La Salle is seeking a Director of Development to take the school to its next level of financial and organizational success. This is a place that has changed the lives and provided pathways to opportunities for more than 1,500 alumni. The Director of Development will work with a dedicated and financially supportive 28-member Board of Trustees, enthusiastic alumni, the Academy’s founder and President (Brother Brian), devoted faculty and administration, and the incredibly poised and articulate students of De La Salle.
The successful candidate for this position will have at least 10 years of experience in fundraising, preferably in an academic environment or an education-oriented nonprofit. The ability to work closely with Trustees is as important as is the skill set to create a more aggressive online presence for fundraising and communication. Strong writing and public speaking skills and experience with foundation grants and relationships are essential. The Director of Development will be an enthusiastic spokesperson who will diligently and fearlessly coordinate and accompany the President, Principal, and Trustees in cultivation, solicitation and stewardship meetings with donors and prospective donors. Some experience with special events will be helpful, as a 35th anniversary gala is under consideration for fall 2019.
The Director of Development will provide leadership and manage the Development office, including a Major Gifts Manager, and Development Associates. He/she will oversee all aspects of fundraising and “friend raising,” including the annual and special campaigns; donor, alumni, corporate and foundation relations; the annual appeal, events, major gifts, and social media fundraising. De La Salle Academy has an endowment of approximately $9 million and an annual budget of approximately $3 million. Philanthropic support from individuals, foundations and corporations provides approximately 80-85% of income to support student scholarships and the operation of the school. There is also a desire and need to build a more significant the endowment.
About the Director of Development Position
De La Salle Academy is seeking a dynamic results-oriented Director of Development with 10+ years’ experience, preferably in an educational setting, to partner with its President, Principal and Board of Trustees. The Director of Development will serve as the chief fund-raiser for De La Salle Academy.
Director of Development Key Responsibilities and Skills Required
· Partner with the President, Principal and Board of Trustees to achieve fundraising and strategic goals for the Department of Development and De La Salle, as a whole.
· Represent the De La Salle Academy with and on behalf of the President.
· Partner with the Board and senior management to create a Board leadership pipeline.
· Develop an annual fundraising plan based on trustee and administration priorities.
· Provide vision, leadership and management for all aspects of fundraising, and supervise the Development staff.
· Raise funds from individuals, foundations and government sources, and identify new sources of support.
· Partner with foundations to acquire new grants, and manage existing ones.
· Expand and strengthen the alumni giving program.
· Develop a robust social media/online program to engage alumni and individual donors.
· Create and promote a bequest/planned giving program.
· Bachelor’s degree required
· 10+ years’ experience in development and fundraising, preferably in a school setting
· Successful fundraising experience with cultivating, engaging, and expanding donor relationships with a wide variety of donors, including major individual donors
· Experience working with a Board of Trustees
· Knowledge and experience building effective Development programs
· Excellent written, oral and social media communication skills
· Experience planning and implementing events
· Computer skills, including Word, Excel, Power Point, and standard development programs (Donor Perfect)
Traits and Characteristics
· A “people person” with a good sense of humor
· Highly organized
· Passionate commitment to the goals and mission of the Academy
· Ability to communicate internally and externally
· Excellent writer and public speaker
· Experienced manager
Benefits include employer paid health insurance, two weeks paid personal vacation — plus school holidays and school vacations—as well as participation in a retirement plan.
Level of Language Proficiency
English required. Spanish helpful.
Minimum Education Required