You are mission driven and action oriented. You love to get involved, and work as part of a team to accomplish something great. Any job is your job if it helps the team succeed, and you thrive on variety.
Today, you’re looking for a role where you can use those traits to make a real difference in the world. A place where you can work with like-minded people to advance the most important social issues facing humanity today. Issues like food security, the social and economic advancement of women and girls, and the conservation of our climate and planet.
If that sounds like you, we’re Arabella Advisors, and we can’t wait to meet you.
Arabella Advisors seeks an organized, detail-oriented and highly motivated attorney to work in the General Counsel’s office. The General Counsel’s Office is responsible for providing timely, coordinated, and thoughtful legal advice to internal clients on a wide variety of regulatory, compliance, and risk-management matters, grounded in applicable laws and tailored to Arabella Advisors’ business needs. The General Counsel’s office also provides legal support to a variety of nonprofit organizations that Arabella Advisors manages, including the New Venture Fund, a 501(c)(3) public charity, and Sixteen Thirty Fund, a 501(c)(4) social welfare organization. The position provides substantive advice to Arabella staff on legal matters related to state and federal tax exemption, nonprofit governance, contracts, employment, insurance, intellectual property, advocacy, lobbying, and campaign finance. The successful candidate will be able to navigate between the corporate and non-profit environment and provide timely, practical legal information and guidance to a broad array of stakeholders, including employees, funders, advisory committees, board members, grantees, and contractors.
General Legal (40%)
- Oversee the department’s work processing and reviewing Arabella contracts. Assist and counsel Arabella staff in the process of evaluating, constructing, and negotiating a broad range of service agreements, independent contractor agreements, vendor contracts, and non-disclosure agreements. The deputy general counsel will be directly involved in complex business transactions and in negotiating critical contracts for the firm.
- Provide legal guidance to business development staff and participate in prospective client meetings.
- Respond to intellectual property issues that arise from the company’s activities, working with the General Counsel to provide accurate and timely advice to staff.
- Evaluate enterprise risk; conduct ongoing risk assessment and monitoring; develop and improve risk mitigation tools; and work with the operations department to ensure appropriate insurance coverage for the firm’s activities.
- With the General Counsel, provide senior management with advice on company strategies and their implementation, manage the legal function of the firm, and oversee the work of outside counsel.
- With the General Counsel, manages the firm’s internal compliance function and staff.
- Provide support to the administrative and operation departments, including developing and implementing user-friendly policies and procedures.
- Assist in resolving routine legal issues or questions.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Nonprofit Legal (50%)
- Oversee the team responsible for ensuring compliance with state registration and reporting obligations for several nonprofits, including charitable solicitation registration, state tax exemption, foreign corporation registration, and registration of commercial co-venture agreements.
- Assist the General Counsel with oversight of the department’s work processing and reviewing the nonprofit organization contracts.
- Serve as a technical resource on nonprofit legal and compliance issues for Arabella staff and employees of the non-profit organizations.
- Supervise compliance and legal staff, including the staff attorney, with an extensive focus on developing, motivating, and mentoring.
- Identify, recruit, coach and support staff, including developing strategies to retain strong performers.
To be successful in this role you’ll need:
- License to practice law.
- J.D. and at least 8 years of experience with relevant legal issues.
- Experience working in General Counsel’s office, law firm, or corporate compliance department.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and a strong customer-focus orientation.
- Ability to work independently, proactively identify and prioritize needs, and to judge when it is appropriate to get assistance from outside counsel.
- Ability to work creatively and analytically on solving complex legal issues.
- Sense of humor and collegial approach to working with a team that connects to all entities served by a single supporting organization.
- Broad knowledge of tax exempt law and practice, especially with respect to 501(c)(3) and 501(c)(4) organizations.
- Knowledge of lobbying, employment, and intellectual property law is a plus.
- Experience working in a consulting firm, nonprofit or foundation.
Our Core Competencies:
- The ability to provide excellent service, including being able to effectively guide teams to achieve service standards and carry out strategy, and identify service offering gaps and recommend and/or drive improvements.
- The ability to manage resources across team to ensure projects and goals are achieved, approve work plan changes and final deliverables, and communicate projects’ progress with critical stakeholders
- The ability to establish and manage effective relationships with diverse stakeholders across the firm, including executive-level colleagues, and to foster a culture of courteous professional interactions
- The ability to effectively communicate critical firm-wide messages, and to lead others in managing challenging conversations and developing complex communication skills
- The ability to model and foster a team-wide culture of inclusion, collaboration, and knowledge sharing; to demonstrate and model appreciation for significant team contributions; and to mediate challenging interpersonal conflicts
- The ability to regularly engage in leadership development activities, and lead firm-wide initiatives that improve firm-wide learning
- The ability to foster a team culture that encourages creative problem solving, and to ensure teams have resources and training to overcome complex challenges
About Arabella Advisors
Arabella Advisors helps foundations, philanthropists and investors who are serious about impact achieve the greatest good with their resources. We help our clients imagine what’s possible, design the best strategies, learn what works best, and do the work necessary to realize their visions.
Our staff is a team of passionate problem-solvers—mission-driven and action-oriented—with a unique combination of experience in philanthropy, business, nonprofits, government, finance, law, and other fields. We combine creative, strategic thinking with knowledge and networks developed through decades of hands-on experience.
The fastest-growing philanthropic advisory firm in the nation, Arabella is also a certified B Corporation. Our leadership team, advisors, colleagues, and staff are fundamentally concerned with social change. We share a desire to make a difference and apply an outcomes-focused approach. Our internal culture supports employee passions, enables continuous learning, and fosters innovation, risk taking, and fun—even as it emphasizes excellence.
Working with Us
We are committed to having a passion-driven, inclusive, fun, transparent, collaborative, and healthy culture. We invite you to visit our careers website to learn more about our people, culture, and work.
To encourage work/life balance we offer flexible work options. Our office is an open space with cubicles and standing desks and informal work areas.
Our salaries are closer to the range of a non-profit and our benefits are excellent. You’ll start with three weeks of vacation, 80 hours of personal time, and 20 hours of paid time to volunteer at an organization of your choice. In addition to six Federal holidays, you get to pick four more from a list of inclusive religious holidays and your birthday!
We have a competitive health package that includes medical, vision, dental, and prescription insurance. We also provide funds for professional development, a fitness benefit, and cover part of your personal cell phone plan.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Send a resume and a one-page cover letter addressing why you’re excited to work at Arabella and why you’re qualified for this specific job.
We value diversity and inclusion and encourage all qualified people to apply. If we can make this easier through accommodation in the recruitment process, please let us know.
While Arabella is open to individuals from various locations applying to join our team, please note that we generally are unable to pay for relocation expenses.
We will review applications as they are received and look forward to hearing from you.