one liberty plaza
Coordinate the Pro Bono partnership between a large corporate law firm and five New York City public high schools. Plan and implement programming that enriches the academic and personal lives of students. Recruit volunteers from the firm to participate in these programs. Coordinate any additional community engagement events or initiatives within the firm.
Volunteer Recruitment And Management
- Recruit volunteers in the firm by holding partnership events, targeting outreach to individuals, and hosting information sessions.
- Work closely with Graphic Design to create visually effective emails, invitations, and posters to recruit and inform Cleary’s New York employees.
- Regularly check-in with volunteers on their work with students, giving advice and assistance when needed.
- Organize planning meetings and debriefs for volunteers to discuss the curriculum and progress of each program.
Program Development and Management
- Manage the firm’s high school partnership programs, including one-on-one mentoring, a mock trial team, SAT prep courses, college admissions coaching, a book club, and an internship program.
- Devise, design, implement, and alter programs to respond to student need and maximize Cleary volunteer participation in partnership programs and events.
- Arrange for appropriate trainings for partnership activities.
- Assure that all volunteers in partnership programs receive accurate, timely and useful information to facilitate their constructive participation.
- Manage communication, materials and set-up for events and programs by working closely with Cleary maintenance, conference and catering services to execute events.
- Serve as one of the coordinators for the Legal Outreach Summer Internship program.
School and Community Partnership Coordination
- Meet regularly with school administrators and key teachers to manage relationships, run effective programs, provide support, and recruit students to partnership programs.
- Help develop the policies and procedures governing employee participation in partnership programs, and work with managers to help them understand those policies.
- Pursue and nurture collaboration with other groups to provide more diverse programming.
- Collaborate with non-profit organizations working with the schools to implement programming.
- Stay abreast of media and research on small learning communities and New York City public education policies as they affect, or might affect, the students.
Tracking Results of Programs
- Collect data on participation rates, including attendance, in Cleary partnership programs.
- Conduct diagnostic tests or surveys at the beginning of programs, and compare results to tests or surveys at the end of programs.
- Check-in with students who have been in partnership programs to see how they are doing academically, personally, and in preparing for college.
- Gather data on partnership seniors’ graduation rates, where they go to college, and how they do once they get there.
- Advisory committee
- Teachers and administration at the high schools
- Staff volunteers
- Non-profit partners
At least two years of experience working in a professional setting
Some experience with middle or high school students from under-resourced communities preferred
Must be computer-literate with fluency in Microsoft Word and some Excel
Commitment of three years
Requires working Saturdays during SAT tutoring in lieu of another day during the week where possible
Flexibility working late nights and occasional weekends
Minimum Education Required