Waxman Strategies is accepting applications for a Program Analyst for our Rapid Response program. This is a short-term consulting opportunity for a strategic thinker with data and analysis abilities who is passionate about protecting the environment and building a more just world. As the Program Analyst, you will be working for Waxman Strategies on behalf of our environment practice’s lead client, Mighty Earth.
Summary of Program:
Each month, we combine satellite imagery with supply chain data to determine the global agribusinesses responsible for new cases of deforestation driven by the palm oil, soy, and cattle industries. Then we move quickly to hold those companies accountable and ensure they enforce their environmental policies before more damage is done. The project is a partnership between Waxman Strategies, Mighty Earth, Aidenvironment, and MapHubs and is currently focused on stopping deforestation and related human rights abuses in Indonesia, Malaysia and South America.
How it works:
The Rapid Response Deforestation Monitoring Program utilizes filtered GLAD (Global Land Analysis & Discovery) alerts from World Resources Institute’s Global Forest Watch to generate an initial list of potential incidents of deforestation and/or peatland development in the past month. We then use satellite imagery to visually confirm each incident and use supply chain analysis to link global commodity traders and consumer brands to agricultural groups engaged in the clearance. Based on this data, we file grievances with the linked companies to stop the clearance and any associated human rights abuses. We also rank companies based on how they are responding to cases of deforestation and/or peatland development in our Rapid Response reports as part of our Trader Tracker scoring system.
Details about the Position:
This is a full-time contract position, starting with a three-month contract period, with a strong likelihood of renewal, and funding permitting, potential for this role to become permanent. Candidates can be based anywhere in the U.S. and you will report to the Director of the Rapid Response Program. However, our ideal candidate would have a willingness to work from our Washington, D.C. office if the position became permanent. Your role will focus on supporting our work in Indonesia and Malaysia focused primarily on palm oil-related deforestation. Salary range is $15,000-$20,000 for the three-month period depending on candidates’ qualifications.
• Perform land use and land cover spatial (GIS) analysis to detect recent instances of deforestation, fires and peatland development, primarily related to oil palm and timber plantation expansion
• Conduct shareholder analysis to determine group-level ownership and detailed supply chain research on Rapid Response cases to determine corporate links to cases of deforestation using corporate palm oil mill lists and grievance logs, as well as other supply chain data when available
• Translate the above GIS analysis and supply chain research into monthly Rapid Response reports, participating in the content, design and quality review process
• Conduct analysis for and produce regular Trader Tracker updates that report on how companies are addressing Rapid Response grievances
• Coordinate data management of internal and public Rapid Response databases
• Work with and help manage relationships with GIS mapping consultants and other stakeholders
• Support engagement with the corporate targets of the Rapid Response reports
• Author/edit campaign materials as needed
Who you are:
You are someone with a passion for protecting the environment and upholding human rights. You are enthusiastic about leveraging data to create positive change for people and the planet. You are organized and detail-oriented, but are also mindful of bigger picture goals and strategies. You enjoy the granularity of data management and analysis, particularly GIS analysis and land use monitoring, but like to apply your research towards a larger goal or purpose. You are self-motivated and can thrive in a remote working environment and maintain collaborative relationships with a range of stakeholders from varying international backgrounds.
What we’re looking for in you:
• A minimum of one year of professional work experience, including a background in land use and land cover spatial (GIS) analysis
• Strong research skills, including preferably a background in supply chain research
• Fluent in Microsoft Office Excel – strong data management and analytical skills
• Experience creating shapefiles of specific areas of recent deforestation and peatland development
• Experience with georeferencing reference data from third-party sources (e.g. plantation/concession boundaries)
• Advocacy and campaign writing experience, particularly with the private sector
• Working knowledge of Bahasa (Indonesian language)
More about our team: The firm is made up of people from various backgrounds, including federal agencies, nonprofit advocacy groups, health agencies, and legislative offices, at a range of experience levels. We pride ourselves on being a welcoming place for people of color, members of the LGBTQ community, parents, empty-nesters, and more.
Compensation: The pay range is $15,000-$20,000 for the three-month period depending on candidates’ qualifications.
How to apply: Please click the apply button below and submit your resume and a thoughtful cover letter which speaks to our mission. Also, please let us know where you heard about the job. Please apply as soon as possible. We will be accepting applications until Tuesday, October 13th.
If you require reasonable accommodation in completing the application, interviewing, completing any pre-employment testing, or otherwise participating in the employee selection process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Waxman Strategies is an equal opportunity employer. We strictly prohibit discrimination against any employee or applicant on the basis of race, creed, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, sexual orientation, disability, gender identity or expression and any other characteristic protected by law.
Women, people of color, and members of the LGBTQ community and other historically marginalized communities are strongly encouraged to apply.
Waxman Strategies is accepting applications for a Program Analyst for our Rapid Response program. This is a short-term consulting opportunity for a strategic thinker with data and analysis abilities who is passionate about protecting…