2101 L Street NW
West End Strategy Team is seeking a driven professional looking to build a career in strategic communications to join our Washington, D.C. office as an assistant working closely with the firm’s president. We are looking for someone who is well organized with a sharp attention to detail, adaptable, able to multitask, well versed in current events and eager to learn and work in a fast-paced, professional environment.
West End Strategy Team is a full-service strategic communications firm that partners with our clients to deliver bold, creative and innovative communications strategies by clearly defining goals and target audiences. Our work includes message development, public and media relations, digital strategy, marketing and advertising and crisis communications. A successful candidate will join a team drawn from politics, journalism and nonprofits. This is a full-time position based in our Washington, D.C. office.
- Strong writing skills
- Sharp attention to detail
- Exceptional organizational skills
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, political science, public affairs, international relations or other related fields
- Knowledge of trends in media, politics and current affairs, informed by a combination of education and regularly keeping up with news reporting
- Experience operating in a fast-paced work environment at the intersection of media, politics and current events
- Comfort speaking directly with clients, vendors and business associates
- A self-starter with the ability to manage multiple priorities at the same time
- Organizing and planning skills
- Strong problem-solving abilities
- Ability to be assertive when necessary
- Familiarity with AP Style
- Strong research skills
- Creative thinking and a good sense of humor
- Assist the president of WEST with daily core functions, including holding regular check-ins, scheduling meetings, notetaking, researching, participating in calls and attending meetings, coordinating travel and handling other duties as assigned by the president
- Work with the president of WEST to support his work with clients and on special projects.
- Serve as the primary liaison for all communications between WEST’s president and others, including internal and external contacts, over the phone, online or in person
- Developing and posting social media content on behalf of WEST and the president on a daily basis
- Supporting the internal operations of the firm, including assisting with on-boarding new hires, setting up regular meetings and managing the firm’s internal shared calendar
- Assisting other team members with client-facing work as needed, including building lists of media contacts, drafting materials like op-eds, media advisories and web content, staffing events and making pitch calls to media
- Manage special events in the office, such as training sessions, parties and seminars, including booking space, coordinating food, sending invitations, etc.
- On an ongoing basis, monitoring trends in media, politics and current events and using this knowledge to occasionally offer strategic communications advice and guidance to team members operating in a client-facing role
- Regularly compiling lists of media clips for publication to WEST’s internal staff and clients
- Regularly using AP Style to draft, edit and proofread content for internal and external publication
Compensation is commensurate with experience and includes a generous bonus structure for business development. Benefits include health, dental, life, long-term disability and a 401k plan.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please submit a resume, cover letter and writing samples. Materials should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please write: “Assistant” in the subject line. Only complete applications will be considered. All applications will be kept confidential.