We’re Hiring new Worker-Owners!
We’re looking for a Director of Human Resources and Administration to join our team.
About Samara Collective
We are a strategic media and communications firm, working towards a more equitable world where communities have the agency to create sustainable change and the bridges needed to build deeper connections between them.
Building power begins by creating spaces where people can bring their whole selves to the work that they do and by giving voice to those stories. Samara’s story began when our four founding members sat down to get to know one another. Before getting down to business, we spent months dreaming – sharing our personal, professional and political experiences and aspirations. We had even worked together in these organizations and befriended each other well before conceiving of creating our own business. We knew there had to be a better way, and in this process of dreaming, we discovered our common desire to align our visions for the future with our work in deeper ways. Thus Samara Collective was born as a worker-owned cooperative in 2018. Now we are in the business of building agency through design, marketing, advertising and training for values-based organizations and people who have a story to tell.
We are grateful that Samara’s mission and skillset resonate with so many client partners. For that reason, we are looking to grow our team and to add additional capacity to the work we do today. Do you get excited to help mission-based organizations work toward justice? Are you inspired by community organizing, people-power, and exploring alternatives to capitalism? Are you a bold thinker and an inclusive collaborator? Are you willing to learn and able to work independently at times? Are you open to authentic communication and honest feedback to help you continuously learn and grow?
Yes? Here’s what you can expect as part of our team:
We offer competitive, equitable pay rates, flexible hours and working location, and pathway to business ownership (equity – with annual profit-sharing).
- Compensation:Full Time (30 hours/week): $62k
- Benefits: Samara prioritizes reducing healthcare costs for employees and provides a generous benefits package by covering: 100% of healthcare premiums and deductibles via a Health Reimbursement Arrangement. We also provide dental coverage through the USFWC. All employees that work 20+ hr/week are eligible for health coverage. Full-time employees also receive floating holidays and 3 weeks vacation.
- Hours: 30 hr/week – We define full-time as 30 hr/week
- Location: Remote – We are a distributed national organization with members and employees in Colorado, D.C., Maine, Massachusetts, New York, Ohio, and Rhode Island.
- Administer/Up keep of Compensation, Benefits and PayrollCompensationAdminister job descriptions
- Administer annual performance management process
- Internal/External Salary benchmarking, and pay equity
- Administration of Benefits
- Benefits renewals & plan designsNegotiate optimal benefits for employees, then negotiate with vendors to achieve the optimal cost for these benefits
- Payroll management and bi-weekly processing
- Retirement Accounts
- Employee onboardingSend offer letter with info given from Member(s)
- Set up new employee in payroll system
- Send all forms and files to employee to be signed and filed
- Set up tax filing if in a state that Samara has not operated in previously.
- Set up employee with logins and access to each applicable account (gmail, Wrike, etc)
- Ensure initial introduction of new staff to organization is productive and welcoming
- Onboarding will support building of team focused on mission and culture as well as necessary skills
- Ensure Policy and Legal ComplianceInternal HR policy administration and best practice development
- Unemployment/Workers Compensation Insurance administration
- Maintain personnel files
- Distribute notifications as required
- Receivables/PayablesReceivablesMonthly billing/invoicing based on client contracts and hours performed
- Dunning and monthly statements and full correspondence with clients regarding past due balances
- PayablesPay vendors, healthcare, dental etc.
- Reconcile bank feed in QuickBooks daily
- Coordinate with ABC Bookkeeping CoopSend bank statements
- Review monthly reconciliations
- Create monthly reports
- Partner with Members to define and drive workplace culture, and share the overall responsibility for overall organizational performanceCreate a respectful, diverse, energetic workplace culture
- Create and implement programs to enhance engagement, morale and team building
- Manage employee communications programsDiversity initiatives
- Perform exit interviews
- Satisfaction/Engagement surveys
Requirements in Education/Experience/Skills:
- BA/S or equivalent experience of 4-5 years in business practices, Human resources
- Impeccable problem solving, self starting and creative thinking skills to proactively explore solutions and options
- Interpersonal, leadership and speaking skills
- Understanding of and commitment to the mission, vision and goals of Samara Collective
- QuickBooks or similar accounting software
- Planning, organizing and performing a variety of duties and responsibilities in a wide range of procedures and rules.
- Attention to detail, a high degree of accuracy, reliability, timeliness, alertness and quality judgement making.
- Writing ability, creativity and concentration.
Preferred, Not Required:
- Experience in working remotely
- Experience in the latest Google Suite
Your turn! We’d like to learn about you.
Please submit your resume, portfolio (if applicable), and a cover letter telling us why you are interested in our team and this role! Contact us today.
Samara Collective will be accepting applications until January 8, 2021.
As of this posting, The majority of Samara Collective members identify as women, as people of color, and queer. We are proud to be an equal employment opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, gender identity, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, physical disability, veteran status, or length of time spent unemployed.
Note: Samara Collective reserves the right to add additional duties as needed with the consent of the worker. All worker-owners are encouraged to be flexible and responsive to changes in the scope of duties.