This position works with project teams - across the portfolio of VIVA’s social impact projects - to produce content for a variety of platforms and purposes and to manage our clients’ social media platforms. The ideal candidate is a strong writer who can create effective content for diverse audiences and a range of platforms and uses (including web, social, print, and other forms of outreach and communications), and a savvy social media user who knows how to reach specific audiences and build engagement.
The content and social media specialist is one of four team members at VIVA that focus primarily on community engagement, marketing, and communications. This marketing and communications team works in coordination with VIVA’s broader consulting team to advance our clients’ social impact objectives within the children, family, and community space.
This position is ideal for someone who is:
- Community-minded -- values diverse cultures and enjoys contributing to conversations and impact efforts centered on race equity
- Innovative -- prefers working in unconventional ways or on tasks that require creativity
- Achievement-oriented -- enjoys taking on challenges, even if they might fail
- Autonomous/independent -- enjoys working with minimal direction
- Be energized, creative, and organized.
- Develop community management approaches, ensuring optimization of the appropriate social channels to develop content, enhance awareness, and increase engagement.
- Manage day-to-day organic social media channels and community, including scheduling and managing social postings and monitoring and supporting engagement.
- Create content for current and emerging social platforms and diverse target audiences, on a range of topics related to children, families, and communities.
- Produce written content for websites, newsletters, emails, brochures, one-pagers, and presentations.
- Monitor and analyze social and web analytics to inform work and prepare analytics presentations.
- Actively keep on top of social media trends, social brand successes, and the wider digital landscape and share these insights.
- Support the development of project work plans with activities, assignments, timelines, and deliverables, including maintaining project management systems and coordinating with team members, clients, and vendors.
- Prepare for and participate in client meetings.
- Manage subcontractors and freelancers as needed to produce visual, video, and/or audio content.
- Support any additional ad-hoc marketing projects as and when required.
Education: Bachelor’s degree
- 3+ years full-time post-degree experience in social media, marketing, and communications
- Proven track record of working in a similar organic social media and community management marketing role
- Must be able to provide examples of commitment to social impact through previous work or volunteer experience
- A passion for the latest social media trends and best practices, and a desire to influence and drive organic and paid social media marketing
- Excellent working knowledge of social media channels/platforms and analytics to optimize journeys and organic reach
- Demonstrable experience implementing and executing organic and paid social media campaigns
- Excellent writer with the ability to create exciting and engaging content that’s tailored to the audience and purpose (digital and print)
- Able to follow brand and client culture guidelines and to write with different clients’ unique voices
- Demonstrated ability to communicate complex ideas in engaging ways
- Strategic thinking/critical thinking
- Ability to analyze information and identify possible solutions/approaches
- Preferred: Able to read, write, and speak in Spanish
- Experienced in organic and paid social media account management; experience running campaigns on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and LinkedIn platforms using a strategic, targeted approach
- Proofreading/copy editing
- Proficiency in Hootsuite, Sendible, or similar
- Proficiency in MailChimp, Constant Contact, or similar
- Proficiency in Microsoft PowerPoint
- Familiarity with WordPress
- Familiarity with Google Cloud products (Google docs, Google Sheets, etc.)
- Nice to have: Salesforce
- Nice to have: Experience producing multimedia content (audio, video, photography)
Core Values, Skills & Capacities
- Demonstrated commitment to equity and social change
- Effective organizational skills
- Excellent customer service – internal/external
- Taking initiative to create a solution when facing an expected or unexpected obstacle
- Keeps calm and makes good decisions when under pressure
- Excellent time management and efficient work style
- Effective communication feedback loops within the VIVA team
- Minimum supervision required to complete high quality work
- Conscious and supportive of team members including initiating assistance
- Recognizes other team members’ strengths and seeks learning opportunities
- Contributes to positive work environment
In order to fulfill the essential job functions and duties the Employee must:
- Be legally authorized to work in the United States on a permanent basis
- Have a valid CA driver’s license, and be in good standing with the DMV, with the ability to drive to and from business meetings
- Have current automobile insurance coverage
- Ability to lift at least twenty pounds of equipment into and out of a car to set up for meetings
- Work from VIVA office, unless arrangements have been made to work from home or to attend in-person business meeting*
- Ability to travel throughout California to conduct business
* This position will be working remotely until restrictions related to COVID-19 are lifted. At that point, work will take place from the VIVA office in San Mateo, CA.