Details: $25-$35 per hour
Do you have a desire to work with world-class museums and cultural organizations but are at the beginning of your career? Do you have a great work ethic and attention to detail as well as a love of writing and the ability to quickly understand complex topics and explain them in layman's terms? Are you interested in innovation, technology, organizational change, and the business processes that facilitate them? If so this position is an opportunity for you to learn and to grow, and be part of a great team that gets to work on some of the most interesting projects in the arts and cultural sector and with some of the most amazing thinkers and leaders in the field.
An internationally recognized museum consultant with more than 30 years of experience, who focuses on innovation, operations, technology, and construction in the arts and cultural sector seeks a part-time personal assistant in his Los Angeles home office located in downtown Culver City.
This is the first position in what has been a fast-growing consulting practice. The principle is well known for his ability to find, and mentor a diverse group of entry level staff, and help them reach their fullest potential within the museum field. If successful this position may become a full time position.
The office is the easy walking distance from downtown restaurants and .2 miles from the Ballona Creek Bike Path and 1.5 miles from the La Cienega/Jefferson Station of the Expo line.
This position will primarily support the consulting business which helps organizations, funders, and philanthropists in the cultural sector, analyze and solve complex problems as well as envision, plan and execute innovative projects in the cultural sector.
Seasonally, it will also support an annual museum conference, which also focuses on the challenging work of innovation in the cultural sector. The conference is a forum to review, discuss and advance efforts to transform the business of culture, showcasing innovative leaders and projects that increase the inclusivity, accessibility, efficiency, and sustainability of cultural heritage and it endeavors to teach attendees how to take these lessons back and make a difference in their organization.
The ideal candidate would have the following skill set:
- Must be a prolific and competent writer who can express original ideas clearly, as well as listen and read others ideas and quickly create and edit short and long-form content based on those ideas.
- Must be a talented researcher able to be creative in the acquisition of information to expand ideas and document and reference existing work.
- Must have excellent copy-writing skills
- Experience gathering relevant and creative content for distribution across multiple channels including social media, email newsletters, blog posts, press releases, websites, program descriptions, marketing material, and sponsorship proposals.
- Experience with graphic design tools (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator) and the ability to produce visually appealing graphics for promotional and educational purposes
- Expert user of social media (Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, and LinkedIn) and web content management systems, with specific knowledge of WordPress or other web CMS platforms being a bonus.
- Knowledge of social media management tools including an understanding of social media analytics and the ability to gather them and visualize them
- Work exceptionally well with a team of cultural professionals but can work autonomously and without daily supervision
- Have the ability to exercise creative problem-solving not only with content but also with technology
- Able to learn and use as well as find and implement software solutions to improve the quality and efficiency of the office and workflow.
- Basic video recording, editing, and production skills desired
- Have an interest in and understanding of the unique opportunities and challenges of working in the GLAM sector (galleries, libraries, archives, or museums)
- Advanced Microsoft Office skills on Mac or PC.
- Ability to uphold a strict level of confidentiality
Specific duties include:
- acting as the first point of contact and managing email correspondence
- liaising with clients, sub-consultants, partners, and vendors
- organizing meetings, appointments and managing calendars
- create project and meeting task lists
- assist principle and ad hoc team members in prioritization and re-prioritization of daily and weekly tasks
- remind principle and ad hoc team members of important tasks and deadlines
- Research daily alerts and trends as they relate to innovation in the cultural sector, technology, and construction
• draft, edit and reformat existing written or graphic content for the following purposes
• email correspondence
• marketing of consulting services
• consulting proposals
• social media
• email newsletters
• marketing material
• press releases
• sponsorship proposals
• biographical text
• updating event and conference websites
- Scan documents and receipts
- Maintain an organized online filing system for electronic documents and email and manage databases and contacts
- implementing and maintaining procedures/administrative systems
- create expense reports
- invoice clients for consulting and expenses
- track time and assign to projects
- create or assist in creating new content for:
• project narratives
• blog and web posts
• grant proposals
• marketing of consulting service templates
• consulting proposal templates
• presentation templates
• biographical text
- booking and arranging occasional travel, transport, and accommodation
- organizing events and conferences
For the Conference (Primary September to April)
- coordinate communications, including taking calls, responding to emails and interfacing with attendees and speakers
- assist in travel arrangements, volunteer management, and in setting up events
- help organize calls and set up meetings for the team and its various constituencies.
- draft remarks and content and for live programs, lectures, and events
- assist in editing, design, layout, and production of the conference program and proceedings
- assist in marketing and social media efforts
- work with a team to schedule content publication
- Attend the conference and assist in its onsite operation and production
- assist with website SEO and analytics tr
This is a part time contract position.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please submit a resume, cover letter and writing sample. Please only use the email firstname.lastname@example.org for communicating about this position.