Details: We offer a competitive salary pacakage
990 Spring Garden Street
Azavea is a civic technology firm based in Philadelphia that uses geospatial data to build software and data analytics for the web. As a B Corporation, our mission is to use advanced geospatial technology for civic, social, and environmental impact. Most of our work deals with local governments, non-profit organizations, and academic or federal research projects. We build custom web applications, perform geospatial analysis, and contribute to open source projects. Our engineers work across the technology stack, from modern browser-based front-ends to robust service-based backends residing on scalable infrastructure.
Our Cicero team is growing and we hope you will join us. We expect to hire one to three part-time, temporary positions that would start in October and continue through March 2019. Based on the candidate and work load, there may be additional opportunities that continue past spring 2019.
The Data Analytics team manages Cicero, a global database of elected officials and legislative districts that is made available as an API, as a batch processing system, and as a licensed database. Cicero enables non-profits and other civic organizations to advocate more effectively by connecting constituents with their elected officials at the local, state and national levels. The Cicero database includes data from nine countries, and due to the November election in the U.S., we will have a significant increase in data research over the next several months. We are looking for energetic, fast-learning, and meticulous people to do web research and data entry of legislative candidates and elected officials to update the Cicero database. The part-time candidates will work about 20-35 hours per week on average, but in the months following the election, this may fluctuate based on your schedule, inauguration dates and data availability.
Using a combination of official legislature, election commission and individual campaign websites, you will:
- Research elections in the U.S., Canada, Mexico, U.K., Australia and New Zealand for timely updates to the Cicero database
- Enter elected official name and associated contact and other profile information in our online data entry system
- Assist in expanding our data coverage
- Quality assurance and quality control of the data
- Be interested in technology, the web, elections and democracy
- Have radical attention to detail
- Possess strong organization and time management skills
- Be familiar with basic business applications: email, MS Excel, web browsers, etc.
- Have a strong ability to work independently, multi-task, and use initiative to get things done
These skills are not required but would be a plus:
- Knowledge of GIS concepts and software (ArcGIS and/or QGIS)
- Familiarity with SQL in database applications such as MySQL, MS Access, or PostgreSQL
Office and Benefits
Our Philadelphia headquarters is located in a brightly lit office on the 5th floor of a converted factory building in the Callowhill neighborhood, a short walk from Center City, the Reading Terminal Market, and SEPTA subway and regional rail stations. For bicyclists, we have in-house bike parking, a shower and lockers. The office itself is assembled as an open office plan with several smaller rooms for team meetings and concentration time.
The positions will be paid on an hourly basis with benefits that include reimbursement for public transit and bicycle expenses, a 401(k) retirement plan after 3 months, paid sick time, and flexible hours.
We welcome qualified candidates from all walks of life and value diversity in our company. We prohibit discrimination based on race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, veteran status, military service, disability unrelated to job requirements, marital status, or domestic partner status.
Minimum Education Required