400 Westchester Avenue
The Carver Center is the largest and longest-running community center in Port Chester, NY, providing educational and recreational programs for families and individuals of all ages. Founded in 1943 as a small storefront afterschool program for children of wartime defense plant employees, Carver Center has grown to become a central community leader, providing essential services to children and families most in need. Carver Center has experienced significant growth in operations over the past two years, effectively increasing from 150 to approximately 600 students in its flagship afterschool program, creating an opportunity to realize new levels of impact and quality.
Carver Center is capitalizing on this organizational growth and stability as it searches for its new Chief Executive Officer (CEO) to guide the Center into the future.
Carver Center’s mission is to build brighter futures by serving, educating, and empowering families within the Port Chester community. Service offerings include an afterschool program, a teen program, Saturday programming, summer camp, family services and food pantry, adult classes including a path to citizenship, senior activities, aquatics, and mindfulness/mental wellness. Carver Center programs and services are proven, engaging, and empowering and also embrace and promote cultural diversity. They accomplish this by serving each individual with compassion, commitment, and competency in an environment that is safe and nurturing for all.
The Chief Executive Officer will lead all aspects of Carver Center including: collaborating with the Board of Directors, driving efforts to secure diverse funding streams and key strategic partnerships, ensuring operational excellence, and working to expand the center’s impact to improve the lives of youth and families. The CEO’s charge will be to develop and oversee the Carver Center team in the pursuit of the organization’s mission to serve families through education and empowerment.
Specifically, the CEO will have five areas of focus:
1. Ensuring that all children and families enrolled in Carver Center programs are engaged and supported through services closely aligned with community need.
2. Overseeing the financial sustainability of Carver Center and pursuing opportunities for new funding to enhance and expand services.
3. Leading a staff that is engaged, talented, and adept at adapting to best meet community needs.
4. Setting the long-term course of the organization to continuously improve the effectiveness and reach of services offered to children and families in Port Chester.
5. Engaging with stakeholders in the Port Chester community by cultivating and maintaining strategic partnerships and networks of support.
- Program and Service Delivery: Oversee strategic planning, design, promotion, and delivery of the organization's programs and services. Ensure that services align with needs expressed by the families being served.
- Financial Planning and Management: Prepare a comprehensive budget, manage and administer organization funds, monitor cash flows, and monitor and assess the organization’s revenues and expenses.
- Talent Development and Management: Promote a culture of empowerment where staff feel supported and successful as they collaborate to effectively serve the community. Develop and maintain clear policies and procedures that guide staff as they grow professionally over time.
- Development and Grant Management: Partner with the Chief Advancement Officer on critical fundraising activities. Plan and implement in conjunction with the development staff, the Board and the organization’s donor base, including assessing resource needs, researching funding sources, writing and submitting grant applications, establishing innovative and effective fundraising strategies, and administering fundraising records and documentation.
- Community Engagement and Partnership: Communicate with, listen to, and inform stakeholders regarding the organization and the needs and desires of the community. Lead regular outreach efforts within the community, and collaborate with community leaders to foster Carver Center’s mission.
- Board Development and Governance: Actively support board leadership efforts. Facilitate exemplary organizational governance and board education, as well as participation and effective oversight of all Carver Center activities. Regularly report to the board on organization activities and promptly report to the board on any issue of significance to the organization, including financial, human resource, operational, or potential reputational issues.
- At least five years of progressive management experience in a nonprofit organization.
- Experience in creating meaningful collaboration among community organizations and agencies.
- Ability to utilize data to make informed decisions about programming and services that are responsive to community need.
- Demonstrated experience in securing and maintaining new public and/or private funding of five figures or more.
- Strong organizational leadership skills, which include the ability to empower and oversee both programmatic services and human resources.
- Evidenced commitment to serving diverse families and children in need.
- Proven record of managing budgets, organizational finances, and programmatic activities of an organization of with revenue in excess of $2.5 million.
- Knowledge of leadership and management principles as they relate to nonprofit organizations.
- Familiarity with federal, state, and local regulations applicable to nonprofit organizations.
- Reputation for and commitment to honesty and integrity.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- A Bachelors Degree in Business or relevant area, advanced degree preferred.
- Proficiency in Spanish preferred.
Compensation range is expected between $120,000 and $150,000 based on experience. A competitive benefits package is provided, including health insurance, long-term disability, group life insurance, retirement matching program, dental, and vision.
Please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with the position title in the subject line. Resumes will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
The Carver Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer that does not discriminate based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, national origin, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by relevant national and state law.
A competitive benefits package is provided, including health insurance, long-term disability, group life insurance, retirement matching program, dental, and vision.
Level of Language Proficiency
Proficiency in Spanish preferred.
Minimum Education Required