We’re looking for an Account Executive to join one of the best firms in the do-gooder business in our Social Media Practice Area.
- Work that is meaningful. We only work with clients who are changing the world. And, we say no to clients if we don’t believe in their cause or if we can’t help them.
- Colleagues you can count on. Kind, dedicated, passionate people who bring the smarts, get things done, and help you to do your best, too.
So that’s us. Now about the work…
- We run social media programs and campaigns for nonprofits and causes like immigrant rights, gender equality, health equity, and more -- think groups like the American Cancer Society, Environment Working Group, and others.
- Day-to-day, we’re figuring out how to reach their audiences across social platforms with the right messages at the right times to grow their ranks and drive action, narrative change, and fundraising. We filter through all the things our clients could be doing and hone in on what they should be doing to reach their goals.
Here’s what you’ll be doing in this role:
- Work in a team to create and implement effective social media campaigns for clients.
- Support the client relationship by staying in close contact with clients throughout the day via email and phone, leading weekly check-in calls, and presenting at big strategy meetings.
- Serve as the project manager on core client deliverables, making sure those deliverables are on time and managing up and down as necessary to get the work done.
- Create and maintain social media monitoring lists and perform basic target audience research and analysis.
- Implement day-to-day social media outreach to reporters and stakeholders, as well as ongoing social media monitoring, including creating social media content and graphics.
- Research and identify how to leverage new tools and technology to advance client goals.
- Help develop and lead sections of social media trainings for clients.
- Review and/or create agendas, notes, calendars, and data reports for clients.
- Keep your teams running smoothly and make sure we’re giving the best possible service to our clients.
- Spearhead strategy documents such as creative concept memos, outlines, and wrap-up reports.
- Do your part to help us run smoothly - including carefully tracking all of your client hours as well as pitching in with small office management responsibilities.
Skills and experiences required for this role:
- 3-5 years of experience managing social media programs (with an emphasis on content creation).
- Understanding of social media content best practices (including copywriting and creative) across multiple platforms, including Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
- Demonstrated experience creating social media graphics.
- Knowledge of how best to engage stakeholders, influencers, and reporters using organic social media.
- Ability to interpret social media metrics using platform analytics and other tools (e.g. Sprout Social, Facebook Business Manager) and translate them into key takeaways.
- Ability to recognize which social media strategies and tactics can, and can’t, move the needle for a particular campaign.
- Experience supporting the professional development of more junior staff or interns.
- Demonstrated ability to craft meeting agendas to identify project goals and ensure successful outcomes.
Skills and experiences we expect of all M+R employees:
- Acute attention to detail.
- Ability to prioritize your time to meet deadlines for multiple projects.
- Strong ability to write clearly, concisely, and logically.
- Proven track record to successfully pick up new skills on the job, including learning new technologies.
- Successful experience working in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment.
- Capability to tackle big projects by breaking them down into smaller pieces.
- Ability to see a problem and propose a solution.
- Drive to seek what can be improved and offer ways to fix any potential roadblocks.
- Understanding of how your words and actions affect others.
- Kindness and consideration for others.
- Experience bringing a lens of inclusivity to all of your interactions with colleagues.
- Passion for the role that your work plays in creating change in the world.
- Drive to work collaboratively - soliciting ideas, seeing each other's perspectives, and always doing what you say you will do.
- Comfort admitting what you don’t know and recognizing that seeking and receiving feedback is part of the learning process.
Skills and experiences that are preferred, but not required:
- Demonstrated experience with Adobe Photoshop.
- Ability to create and edit basic social media videos and animations.
- Have worked in an agency setting or at another consulting firm.
- Have worked for nonprofits, electoral campaigns, and/or other issue campaigns.
- Knowledge of best practices for social integration with paid social, media relations, and/or digital organizing.
Salary, benefits, and some perks:
- This is an exempt, unionized position, represented by the Washington-Baltimore News Guild. The salary is $58,500 with eligibility for an approximate $3,800 year end bonus depending on start date and firmwide performance. As part of M+R’s commitment to compensation equity and transparency, we have a no negotiation policy. Salary negotiations can introduce bias and perpetuate wage inequality. Successful staff at M+R have regular opportunities for promotion with accompanying increases in compensation. We also offer a generous benefits package, plus some perks:
- Three week’s vacation as well as paid sick and personal days;
- Generous health, dental, and vision benefits;
- 401(k) plan with quarterly employer contributions and an employer match;
- Professional development stipend;
- Flexible Spending Accounts for medical, dependent care, and transit;
- Regular brainstorms where we cook up our most creative ideas;
- All kinds of benefits depending on which office you’re in (once we're back open!). Free lunch once a week. Snack breaks. Cold brew coffee on tap. Records and record players.
- While our physical offices are closed, we offer reimbursements for cell phones and internet, plus a small monthly working from home stipend to make your work-at-home life a bit more comfortable.
The fine print:
Due to COVID, our offices will remain closed through Labor Day (September 6, 2021), and all staff will have the option to continue working from home through December 31, 2021. Our primary concern is the care and health of our employees, and we want to ensure our staff feel ready to return to the office. This position is not a permanent remote role and starting January 2022, will be located in any one of the following offices full-time:
1101 Connecticut Ave NW, Washington, DC
1611 Telegraph Ave, Oakland, CA
1275 East 6th St., Los Angeles, CA
262 Washington St, Boston, MA
11 Park Place, New York, NY
To apply, use the button on this page. No calls please.
M+R is an equal opportunity employer and all applicants will be considered. As a firm we are committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn and work together to change the world. M+R is strengthened by our staff’s diversity, including race and ethnicity, social class, national origin, culture, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, language, and so much more. We strongly encourage folks from underrepresented backgrounds to apply.
We are communicators, marketers, fundraisers, and campaigners who unleash the power of people to do good. We work exclusively with nonprofits fighting for a just and sustainable world.