Impact by Design (IbD) is seeking a Business Operations Coordinator who will help us run smoothly and efficiently by supporting day-to-day operations. We are looking for someone who enjoys working on the details and gets excited about keeping things organized, finding ways to create efficiency, and solving the big and little problems that make a huge difference. This position is part administrative assistant and part project manager for business operations.
The Business Operations Coordinator will be based remotely within the U.S., and have a flexible part-time schedule of approximately 15-20 hours per week. This may turn into a full time position as the organization continues to grow.
Why this role is important for IbD:
The Business Operations Coordinator is someone who truly believes that the details make a difference and has the ambition and resourcefulness to create solutions and then implement them consistently over time. IbD is in a stage of growth and needs someone to help ensure that our key administrative functions continue to run smoothly and can develop with us over time.
What you will do:
Your regular activities may not be the same every day but will include:
- Supporting IbD in service costing and project management practices
- Supporting the ongoing reporting of metrics for operational success and effectiveness
- Sending out bi-weekly reports with operational and programmatic updates
- Supporting the logistics of meetings and trainings, held both remotely and in-person
- Helping to find support and solutions for technical issues that may arise
- Ensuring that documents and materials are well organized and readily accessible
- Tracking and processing IbD invoices and bills in a timely manner
- Helping with the logistics of client work - scheduling, ordering supplies, and printing materials - as needed
- Helping staff with timely cost tracking and reimbursable expenses
What we care about most in this position:
- You genuinely love the details and are the kind of person who is excited by a well-organized excel sheet.
- You have the spirit of an entrepreneur, someone who can see problems and solutions and has the ambition to make things better.
- Working with people is fun for you, but you are also motivated and driven when working alone and in a home office.
- You are comfortable with feedback and are happy in a team-oriented environment that is focused on learning and continuous improvement.
- You do not mind when things change quickly and are still able to keep regular work on track.
We are looking for someone who has the skills, insights, motivation, and attitude to make IbD an even better and more effective organization. This can be someone from a traditional administrative background, or a non-traditional background from another sector. You do not have to work a typical 9-5 schedule, but you will need to deliver on deadlines and be available during key times. We are most interested in someone who can demonstrate that they will thrive at IbD and be a genuinely good fit for this work. This means that you are:
- Focused on making things work – fixing what is broken and maintaining what works well
- Dependable - what you deliver is quality and you will do what it takes to make things right
- Clear and articulate when communicating remotely and in-person
- Savvy about computers and Microsoft Office suite of applications
- Trustworthy – we know that you are a consummate professional who will handle proprietary information with care.
Why Impact by Design?
We are a small but growing organization that is committed to helping nonprofits focused on conservation, animal welfare, and the environment maximize their impact. We believe that by helping nonprofits be their best, we can help make the world a better place. Our working environment is dynamic, transparent, curious, and supportive, with a focus on our core values, which underpin all of our efforts. Find out more About Us here.
All staff members at Impact by Design work remotely – we do not have an office. We offer flexibility and an opportunity to work in a self-directed environment.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing, rolling basis until we find the right candidate, with a preference for candidates residing in the Northeast corridor (Washington, DC to Boston). We are happy to see your traditional resume, but do not want a traditional cover letter. In lieu of a letter, please answer the following two questions in no more than 500 words each, and then submit all materials to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Describe a gnarly problem you have solved when working for a company or organization and how you did it.
- Tell us about a time when you worked on a team and things went really well – what role did you play and what were the dynamics that made the team successful?