Details: Competitive and commensurate with experience
1900 M St NW
Waxman Strategies, a mission-driven consulting firm led by former Congressman Henry Waxman, is accepting applications for a Director in our Health Practice. We’re looking for talented candidates with experience in legislative or regulatory work and a strong commitment to health issues to work with our team to develop and influence health policy on issues ranging from prescription drug prices to rising health care costs to women’s health.
Who we are:
Deemed “one of the most accomplished legislators of his or any era” by President Obama, former Congressman Henry Waxman leads our all-star team, using policy, communications, and campaigns to help shape policies, advance causes, and build movements. We primarily work in the areas of health, environment, and technology and address complex problems and achieve outcomes that matter. Our Health Practice brings our expertise and experience on health issues to provide our diverse portfolio of clients and foundations with strategic counsel, issue analysis and policy development, and engagement support. Building on a powerful legacy, we are driven by an uncompromising commitment to create and sustain change in the public interest. Our work spans the issues of lowering prescription drug prices, addressing the rising cost of healthcare, protecting the health care safety net and vulnerable populations, and public health and prevention. Some of our current health clients include: Medicines360, Planned Parenthood Affiliates of California, the William & Flora Hewlett Foundation, the Commonwealth Fund, West Health, National Association of Community Health Centers, 340B Health, GEHA, and the Laura and John Arnold Foundation.
Background on the position:
As a Director in our Health Practice, you will work closely with our team of experts, former Congressman Waxman, and our clients to help shape and influence policy around health issues - one of the most pressing and high-profile issues in our country. You will play a lead role in providing policy research, regulatory and legislative analysis, and engagement support. The ideal candidate will combine previous legislative or regulatory experience with an aptitude for policy research and analysis and strong communications skills.
- Helping to develop and communicate our clients’ policy priorities to members of Congress, congressional staff, other federal policymakers and stakeholders;
- Managing deliverables and providing direct support to our clients;
- Managing meetings and conference calls with our clients;
- Gathering, reviewing, analyzing, and compiling policy research to support the Health Practice and our clients;
- Drafting policy memos, policy proposal analysis, regulatory comments, and other policy documents on behalf of Waxman Strategies and our clients;
- Tracking regulatory and legislative activity on the policy issues in which we work, which may include the Federal and State-level tracking;
- Providing communications support to relevant health care projects when needed;
- Conducting background research and identifying opportunities for business development;
- Performing other duties as needed to help meet Waxman Strategies’ priorities and goals.
Who you are:
- You have a minimum of four years of professional work experience, with a background in government or nonprofit advocacy.
- You have a bachelor’s degree, ideally in public policy, public health, government, political science, or another related field; a master’s degree in a related discipline preferred.
- You have a proven track record in legislative or regulatory work. You have experience figuring out how to move policymakers.
- You have excellent written and verbal communication skills. You can communicate effectively with people with varying levels of expertise on health issues from members of Congress to nonprofit leaders to colleagues.
- You have excellent organizational skills, including advanced MS office skills. You can multi-task effectively without sacrificing quality.
- You are passionate about health policy issues and have an interest in developing expertise in the field.
- You can work independently and as part of a team.
- You approach your work with flexibility, initiative, and a willingness to pivot as issues arise.
Details: This is a full-time position based in Washington, DC. You will report to our Senior Vice President, Health Practice and work closely with our health team. Application Deadline: Please submit applications by Monday, November 26th. Please include a thoughtful cover letter which speaks to our mission and demonstrates your writing abilities. Also, let us know where you heard about the job.
Compensation and benefits: Compensation is competitive and commensurate with experience. We can discuss your salary expectations early in the interview process. We have a generous benefits package including group health insurance, dental benefits, unlimited vacation time, paid holidays, and a 401(k) plan.
Waxman Strategies is an equal opportunity employer; we strictly prohibit discrimination against any employee or applicant on the basis of race, creed, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, sexual orientation, disability, gender identity or expression and any other characteristic protected by law.
Women, people of color, and members of the LGBTQ community and other historically marginalized communities are strongly encouraged to apply.
We have a generous benefits package including group health insurance, dental benefits, unlimited vacation time, paid holidays, and a 401(k) plan.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please submit a resume and thoughtful cover letter which speaks to our mission and demonstrates your writing abilities.