Hattaway Communications is a Washington, D.C.-based strategic communications firm with a mission: helping visionary leaders and organizations achieve ambitious goals that benefit people and the planet. Every day, our team works with high-profile, high-impact clients in advocacy, philanthropy, politics, government and business to create research-driven strategies, content and campaigns. We’re in the business of communications for impact, not self-promotion.
About the Job
As a Communications Associate, you’ll work with our talented team to develop research-driven strategies, content and campaigns. You’ll bring a strategic perspective on communications, top-notch writing skills, a commitment to quality and attention to detail—and relevant experience in politics, government, advocacy, philanthropy, research, consulting, branding and/or marketing. You likely enjoy working with others in a collaborative, fast-paced environment, learning new skills, and coming up with innovative approaches to solving problems. As a member of our team, you will:
· Collaborate with a team of researchers, designers and other communications professionals in a fast-paced environment to produce high-quality strategies, messages and campaign content.
· Exhibit excellent strategic judgment, creativity and know-how in utilizing a variety of communications tools and techniques, including digital strategies and social media.
· Work on multiple projects while meeting deadlines and maintaining a positive and professional attitude with colleagues and clients.
· Present research findings and message products to clients, and help facilitate brainstorming sessions, webinars, conference calls, trainings and workshops.
· Assist with the execution and analysis of qualitative and quantitative research.
· Proactively address challenges as they arise and be flexible with implementing solutions that serve clients’ needs.
· Support the firm’s mission and purpose, demonstrating an interest in social issues.
· Take advantage of learning and growth opportunities, such as professional development and training.
· A bachelor’s degree or higher in political science, economics, statistics, journalism, communications, social sciences or a related field.
· Three to five years of experience applying research and analysis to strategic communications that achieved measureable impact.
· Experience developing high-quality content and strategic communications products.
· A proven ability to help manage complex projects from beginning to end, meeting high quality standards and deadlines.
· Excellent written and oral communication skills.
· Experience working directly with clients.
· Creativity, a sense of humor and a strong grasp of what makes compelling and actionable content.
· The desire to grow with a dynamic firm.
You May Also Have:
· Worked in politics, philanthropy, advocacy, marketing or government.
· Experience executing, measuring and evaluating communications activities or campaigns, including digital or online campaigns.
· Some experience using research methodologies and tools such as Excel, MaxQDA and Tableau to manipulate and analyze data and develop insights.
· Experience assisting with development of proposals and grant applications.
We know that bringing talented, diverse people with different perspectives together creates more impact than we can create as individuals. Every person is encouraged and empowered to take initiative, utilize their strengths, and collaborate with and learn from each other to create innovative approaches and quality products and experiences. We foster a culture of collaboration, flexibility and insight—priding ourselves on professionalism and creating a workplace that is fun and comfortable, and that people are excited to come to every day.
We value each person’s professional development, and have a budget and support for pursuing those interests. Our offices are located in downtown Washington, D.C., between the DuPont Circle and Farragut North metro stations. We offer competitive benefits including a flexible work environment and a fantastic parental leave policy. Salary is commensurate with experience.
How to Apply
To apply, send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Subject line: Communications Associate. No phone calls, please.
Minimum Education Required