Intentional Philanthropy (IP) seeks a motivated, service-oriented, and highly organized professional in the Pittsburgh, PA, D.C./Baltimore or New York Metro areas who thrives on supporting and empowering others to effect positive social change. In this role you will work closely with other IP team members to manage a diverse mix of client foundations and programs. You will be responsible for the overall smooth operations of several managed foundations and/or projects. You will also work alongside IP team members on – and increasingly take ownership of – grant research, strategy, reports, and presentations.
We know that candidates will be stronger in some areas of this role than others. Please do not let that stop you from applying! We seek to engage emerging leaders from a variety of backgrounds and experiences who bring their knowledge, passion, and perspectives to the work of helping our clients build a more equitable world.
We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package, including 401k plan with an employer match, profit sharing, paid volunteer leave, vacation/PTO time, plus flexible work schedules and professional development opportunities. We are people-centric, and we empower our employees to manage their careers in balance with their personal lives.
Critical Responsibilities May Include:
Research and Analysis
- Conduct and synthesize background research for client projects (e.g. food system reform, career pathways, nonprofit landscape analysis in a particular geography, etc.)
- Conduct interviews with practitioners and subject matter experts, identifying key takeaways and communicating them to team members
- Vet opportunities for program related investments (PRIs) in communities where foundations focus their giving
Strategic Grantmaking and Program Management
- Support foundation boards’ refinement of their missions, grantmaking objectives and/or approach to diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) by providing knowledge and expertise gained through research and interaction in the field
- Work closely with other funders and community/nonprofit leaders to identify needs and promote opportunities for grantmaking and collaboration that align with client Foundations’ mission, interests, and funding priorities
- Support the design and implementation of grant application processes and manage timely and respectful communication with applicants and grantees
- Review and summarize grant applications, conduct due diligence of potential grantee organizations, develop follow up questions, and schedule interviews and site-visits
- Support design and management of participatory grantmaking and community engagement
Board Development and Support
- Manage overall project scope and work plans, including complex project timelines and budgets, across team members
- Develop high-quality reports, presentations, and memos as well as content for client meetings such as agendas, grant summaries and budgets using Word, PowerPoint, and Excel
- Contribute to meeting and conference planning on behalf of clients; manage meeting logistics, including accommodations and meals, agenda development, technology set-up, speaker preparation and follow-up
- Design and/or co-facilitate educational sessions for clients, including panels of issue experts, informative games and activities, content-related retreats, and stakeholder roundtables
- Adeptly manage foundation operations and administration across multiple work streams with timely execution of tasks and attention to detail, including scheduling client meetings, preparing internal audits, tracking monthly bank statements, processing invoices
- Support survey administration, data management, and analysis
- Create presentations and visual graphics representing findings
- Communicate in succinct formats matching clients’ learning and communication preferences
Required Skills and Abilities
- Minimum of five to seven years of professional experience with steadily increasing job responsibility
- Ability to manage and lead complex projects, to oversee and delegate to team members, and to prioritize competing demands to meet deadlines and deliver timely work products
- Strong organization and research skills and an understanding of how to gather, analyze, and synthesize diverse information from written documents and interviews
- Impeccable professional written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to synthesize large volumes of information into client-ready emails and reports matching client’s communication preferences
- Ability to quickly learn and use new technology for managing grants and operations, including accounting software and a grants management database
- Ability to work independently with attention to detail, seek guidance or input as needed; while also seeking to anticipate needs, fill gaps and assist teammates
- Growth mindset, openness and responsiveness to feedback
- Ability to work occasional weekend days (estimated at 4-6 annually)
Essential Candidate Qualities
- Genuinely enjoys charitable work and supporting people and causes
- Takes their work seriously but doesn’t take themselves too seriously
- Works to both get it right and get it done
- Someone who is always looking to grow and improve
- Integrity, honesty and a team spirit
- Enjoys the challenge of a learning curve, but does not view routine tasks as a burden
- Highly flexible team player with the abilities to adapt his/her working style to different contexts and personalities
About Intentional Philanthropy
Intentional Philanthropy is a growing, entrepreneurial company providing grantmaking strategy and implementation, foundation management, and consulting services to family and independent foundations. We help foundations define the change they want to see in the world, develop a strategy to accomplish that change, vet and evaluate the nonprofits capable of bringing that vision to reality. We work with individuals and families at all stages of their philanthropic journey. We help those just starting out as well as those with years of practice.
How to Apply
- To apply, you must click on the following link and take the survey. There will be areas in the survey where you can highlight any relevant experience, and a place at the end to attach your resume. Please make sure you fill out all the questions to be considered for this position. https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/DXQP259
- Candidates must be located in the Pittsburgh, PA, D.C. Metro, or New York Metro areas.
Location flexible within the geographics listed above. Although remote, this position requires several out-of-town trips throughout the year.