Position: Deputy Director
Reports to: Executive Director
FLSA: Exempt, Full-Time, 40 hours/week
Required Travel: Due to COVID-19, VCW staff will not be traveling until it is safe to do so. When travel can be safely resumed, expected travel is approximately 15%
Compensation: $80,000 – $95,000 annual salary, commensurate with experience; benefits include medical, dental and paid time off
Start Date: Projected May 2021; Position open until filled
Vision Change Win, LLC (VCW) is a Black-led social justice consultancy that has brought together a team of queer and trans people of color social justice consultants dedicated to supporting organizations and movements in deepening their impact and more effectively manifesting their visions and values. VCW delivers practical support to social justice organizations in the areas of organizational sustainability and resilience, political strategy, conflict transformation, transformative strategy, and community safety. Over the past five years, Vision Change Win has worked with over 150 clients, over 3,000 social change leaders, and our work has supported organizations in over 25 countries. As VCW is being called to increase our impact and expand our work, there is a need to deepen its presence and reach within our movement organizations.
ABOUT THE POSITION
As Vision Change Win’s Deputy Director, reporting to the Founding/Executive Director, you’ll ensure that VCW’s day to day activities run smoothly. This role is responsible for guiding and designing the internal strategy to create VCW’s organizational health including work on organizational development, human resources, operations, financial management, the client intake process, and supporting with organization-wide planning and program development. In this role you’ll really get to focus on alignment and ensuring that VCW’s values show up within its organizational culture, how people are treated, how clients and partners are treated, and how to run an efficient, impactful, and exciting organization. As the newest member of the #humblegenius team, you’ll have a deep attention to detail, appetite for self and organizational growth, a passion for liberation movements, and courageous yet compassionate communication skills. This role will partner closely with the ED to chart VCW’s future growth and strategic response to an ever-increasing demand for the organization’s services.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Serve on the Leadership Team and coordinate organizational planning, tracking, and reporting processes
- Lead and promote an organizational culture that embraces VCW’s mission and values and works with staff to create and maintain a workplace reflective of those values
- Represent VCW at conferences, professional associations, and other public venues
- Collaborates with senior leadership to understand the organization’s goals and strategy related to staffing, organizational structure recruiting, and retention
- Participate in the development of the organization’s plans and programs as a strategic partner, particularly from the perspective of the impact on people
- Develop and track indicators of organizational culture and engage employees and senior leadership to create organizational change
- Facilitate organizational change management and help leaders align goals with communication strategies to support desired changes
Operations and Team Support
- Create and implement organizational-wide training, development opportunities, and support employee development programs
- Lead, coach, develop, and retain VCW’s high-performance team with an emphasis on developing capacity in strategic analysis and planning and program budgeting
- Oversee processes for review and resolution of employee grievances
- Coordinate VCW’s internal physical and digital security protocols
- Share in knowledge dissemination, reporting, and communications
- Manage the Operations & Finance Coordinator
- Manage the Communications Associate to:
- Manage and update Customer Relationship Management database (CRM) with all client contact information, meeting records, follow up reports and project documentation
- Develop marketing materials for VCW
- Maintain and grow VCW’s social media presence and web presence
Business Development and Programmatic
- Manage relevant programmatic deadlines, grant deliverables, and reporting in collaboration with other programmatic staff
- Coordinate client intake and inquiry process, ensuring effective coordination between clients, contractors, and staff
- Implement systems to support consulting team mates in providing high quality support to social change organizations
- Coordinate fundraising initiatives as needed, in collaboration with the Community Safety Director
- Ensuring deliverables on all projects are on track and on budget to ensure we meet and exceed client expectations in collaboration with staff and contractors
- Act as a thought partner to the Founding Director in thinking strategically on how to thoughtfully expand VCW’s network, programs, how to leverage relationships, and grow relationships through targeted correspondence and/or creative outreach strategies
- Build and maintain strong client relationships; exceptional relationship-builder
- Implement client outreach strategies and innovative client offerings
- Collaborate with VCW team mates, subcontractors, and Founding Director to produce curriculum, toolkits, and training materials for social change organizations
- Develop thought leadership around specific topics/emerging practice areas
- Facilitate the annual budget process, ensuring a timely budget, relevant input and collaboration from the Founding Director and the Operations & Finance Coordinator
- Create long term plans for VCW’s financial sustainability with the Operations & Finance Coordinator
WHO YOU ARE
As the newest member of the #humblegenius team, you’ll have a deep attention to detail, appetite for self and organizational growth, a passion for liberation movements, and courageous yet compassionate communication skills.
- You have a results orientation. You have an “it’s handled” mentality and have demonstrated experience coordinating successful projects independently. Because VCW works from multiple sties on many incredible projects, we will rely on you to focus in on the mission, act decisively to ward off distraction, and assertively set clear boundaries to keep your work moving in the right direction.
- You have a high attention to detail. You check things multiple times, have your own systems of keeping yourself organized and there’s rarely errors in your work.
- You are creative and innovative. You can see a need and propose a solution. You’re passionate about supporting movements to be stronger, and are able to coordinate and execute on successful projects with limited guidance.
- You lead with integrity. You care about what fixes the problem, even if it’s not what an organization (or a person) wants to hear. You stand by your work and are an honest and accountable collaborator.
- You’re a vault. What’s said to you, stays with you. You understand the risks of disclosing sensitive information, have deep experience with managing confidentiality, and are comfortable with the risks of holding a movement’s confidences.
- At least eight years of relevant work experience, with at least three years management experience, preferably in an operations setting
- Special preference for experience in start-ups, organizational consulting, operations, or shared services
- Experience in organizational design, managing up, and leading HR/people processes in a start-up setting is a plus
- Demonstrated ability to develop, implement and manage business systems and processes to support a growing multi-site organization
- Demonstrated commitment and experience working within racial justice, LGBTQ liberation, and gender justice organizations
- Excellent project management skills and extensive experience developing and delivering on goals and strategies; experience doing this in teams that are mix of staff and consultants is a plus
- At least three years of financial management experience
- Strong written, oral, and interpersonal communications skills
- Proficiency with project management tools, accounting software, Microsoft Office
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Vision Change Win staff mostly work remotely, with some in-person activity. When not in a pandemic, we hold in-person retreats and meetings two to four meetings a year that may involve travel. This position may require additional travel. This job will require regular work on a computer, including typing, reading a screen, video meetings, and audio calls.