Upward Bound House
Director of Programs
ABOUT UPWARD BOUND HOUSE
Upward Bound House (UBH) is a nonprofit organization whose mission is to eliminate homelessness among families with children in Los Angeles by providing housing, supportive services, and advocacy. UBH carries out this mission by operating programs that provide both temporary and permanent housing resources to homeless families. The organization operates programs in Santa Monica, Culver City, South Los Angeles and Compton. Through their interim shelter programs, they provide immediate respite to families experiencing homelessness and assist them in overcoming the barriers they face in obtaining a permanent home. UBH also operates rapid re-housing programs whose goal is to place homeless families in permanent housing as quickly as possible while providing them with financial, employment and social services support as appropriate, to ensure housing stability.
Reporting to the President and CEO, the Director of Programs provides strategic leadership on program content, implementation and evaluation of programs with emphasis on measurable outcomes using data and best practices, prioritization of programmatic objectives, activities, and budget needs.
With superior analytical and leadership skills, the Director of Programs will oversee the development of program material to support fundraising efforts and the development of team-based approaches ensuring operational program success. This position will ensure seamless team management, integration of programmatic activities, promotion of shared accountability, and production of high-quality work products. This role will also serve as an effective UBH regional representative by establishing and maintaining partnerships to advance UBH’s mission.
ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES
PROGRAM DEVELOPMENT, DIRECTION, AND MANAGEMENT
- Develop and effectively direct programmatic activities to ensure social services methodology are sound, positioning UBH to be a leader regionally and nationally.
- Serve as a senior leader for program content, program design, evaluation, and dissemination across all programs.
- Monitor scopes of work to ensure timeliness, quality and accuracy of activities vis-à-vis contractual and grant commitments.
- Ensure programmatic excellence through development and implementation of innovative performance and outcomes measures.
- Facilitate small and large group meetings, internally and externally.
- Monitor national initiatives in the field of homelessness as well as programmatic innovations and best practices from other sectors to ensure that UBH program staff remains well-informed.
- Ensure that innovations and best practices are incorporated into UBH programmatic activities.
- Act as the primary contact for programmatic monitoring by funders, includes coordinating monitoring visits, interfacing with monitors during the visits, responding to monitoring reports etc.
- Generate monthly performance and demographic reports from UBH data-systems for Funders, Board of Directors, Executive Team, agency team members etc.
FISCAL MANAGEMENT AND OVERSIGHT
- Oversee management of programmatic budgets to ensure effective and compliant use of grant and contract funds.
- Interact with project teams to maintain consistent understanding of project status and deliverables and identify variances and errors to ensure sound fiscal management of programs.
- Direct budget development for new programs and renewals.
- Develop new programs in collaboration with UBH staff and constituencies.
- Contribute to writing of grant proposals to secure new resources that expand UBH’s programmatic portfolio as well as its capacity to engage in innovative and prioritized programs across LA County, State and nationally.
- Ensure compliance for all program grants and contracts, work with development and finance teams to implement and/or improve reporting tools; and ensure timely, accurate reports and communications to funders, Board of Directors and staff.
- Seek and develop new funding relationships and then leverage those relationships to create new programs and enrich existing ones.
- Build cross-sector relationships and work opportunities that integrate housing and services strategies with activities within sectors such as health care, childcare, education, community and economic development, housing, and others.
- Work collaboratively across sectors with diverse, strong, and influential partners to achieve common goals.
- Engage in national, state, and local-level relationship building to increase UBH’s visibility and ensure strategic programmatic and organizational growth.
- Participate in senior staff and board activities to inform and lead the organization’s program strategies and approaches.
- Increase UBH’s public profile by serving as a spokesperson and advocate, as well as a visible and influential leader in homelessness.
- Instill a sense of accountability among team members by modeling tight oversight of individual and organization performance standards.
- Direct continuous learning (focused on family homelessness, the evidence base, and the latest innovations) for UBH staff.
- Promote and foster an environment in which proactive thinking and creativity are encouraged and rewarded.
- Identify capacities needed to achieve programmatic and organizational goals. Work with senior staff to ensure those capacities are developed or acquired.
- Serve as resource advisor to program staff and support their work by managing resources, opportunity, time, and information.
- Participate in yearly performance assessments of program staff, goal setting, and support professional development on an ongoing basis.
- Master’s in social work is required. LCSW, LMFT, Licensed Psychologist or License Eligible preferred.
- 7+ years of progressive management experience working in the nonprofit social services sector including directorial roles/ responsibilities.
- Expertise in family homelessness and housing disparities.
- Proven leadership skills and management experience, including the ability to develop team performance and a genuine desire to coach and mentor.
- Demonstrated success in grant writing and proposal development for homeless and housing programs.
- Superior writing skills in terms of analysis, content, and mechanics. Published articles are a plus.
- Strong focus on being strategic, problem solving, and solution focused.
- Experience working with community-based coalitions, organizations and group facilitation.
- General knowledge and familiarity with political contexts at the federal, state, and local levels.
- Strong budget management and general finance experience, ability to operate programs within budgeted resources, detail-oriented, and able to work well in evolving circumstances.
- Excellent written and oral presentation skills, with ability to engage, inspire, build credibility and engender trust with diverse audiences. This includes the ability to build coalitions, negotiate, and resolve conflicts effectively while preserving important relationships with partners and funders.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with policy makers, community leaders, and the media.
- High level of knowledge and understanding, especially as it relates to program replication, connecting programs to funding, creatively generating other resources, and building strategic
Upward Bound House is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion or creed, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, age, veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status recognized by federal, state or local law with respect to employment opportunities.
Envision Consulting was retained by Upward Bound House to conduct the search for their incoming Director of Programs.