District of Columbia
Associate Director, HR, Managed Organizations (Washington, DC)
You are mission-driven and action-oriented. You love to get involved and work as part of a team to accomplish something great. Any job is your job if it helps the team succeed, and you thrive on variety. Today, you’re looking for a role where you can use those traits to make a real difference in the world by advancing the most important social issues facing humanity today.
If that sounds like you, Arabella Advisors can’t wait to meet you.
External Client Work
- Provide exceptional daily HR service to clients.
- Provide coaching, guidance and strategic leadership to client executives, ensuring compliance with applicable laws and policies, and keeping a laser-focus on achieving organizational and client objectives.
- Manage complex strategic, organizational development, and staffing situations, such as situations related to rapid or planned growth, restructuring, terminations, performance, conflict resolution, etc.
- Lead complex client HR engagements, coach executives as a trusted partner, and liaise with client contacts and internal account managers.
- Maintain employee confidence and protect confidentiality of personnel data.
- In partnership with internal leadership and client leaders, ideate, develop and lead new levels of HR consulting services that align with achieving increased client impact, efficiency, and accountability.
Internal Strategic Leadership
- Partner with the HR senior director in developing and supporting HR’s objectives, outputs, and standards. Lead new planned and reactionary strategic initiatives as needed.
- Partner with the HR senior director to lead strategic business development initiatives, including supporting, developing and prototyping new initiatives related to impact and efficiency.
- Proactively lead improvements to processes, systems, strategies and approaches affecting internal and external stakeholder management.
- Build out HR’s stakeholder engagement strategy, including developing in conjunction with the larger team the philosophies, systems, methods and cadence of proactive and reactive internal and external stakeholder communication and engagement.
- Lead client-facing performance management systems, managing and maintaining a base level of compliance and support services, and developing additional value-add support services to clients (including building out management coaching and 360 degree evaluation services).
- Lead benefits plan design, execution and renewals.
- Lead the design, creation and deployment of all training initiatives, including mandatory and optional value-add trainings and curricula for clients, and internal team growth and development programs.
- Maintain and deploy working knowledge of relevant policies, procedures, and benefit plans.
- Ideate, develop, deploy and execute administration of client policy (including handbook maintenance).
- Provide guidance and interpretation on policies related to employees, contractors, interns, and volunteers.
To Be Successful in This Role, You’ll Need:
- 5 to 8 years of professional experience in leadership and leading strategic initiatives, staff management, and engagement with executives.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent; preference for a Master’s in HR, HR certification, or equivalent
- Experience with client management, including engaging and coaching executives.
- Experience managing complex and sensitive personnel situations, particularly in the context of organizational change.
- Deep experience and/or training in conflict resolution and mediation.
- Experience with, and a well-developed point of view on, what makes for effective and implementable performance management.
- Experience negotiating and managing employee benefits programs.
- Familiarity with labor law. Knowledge of California labor law a plus.
- Business development experience a plus.
- Ability to balance strict compliance with business need and maintain focus on strategic priorities and discretion in a multi-stakeholder environment.
- Ability to instantly instill confidence and establish a trusted partner relationship with executives.
- High comfort level dealing with situations that are unplanned, new terrain, and high stakes.
- Experience in, and well-developed point of view on, effective training & development programs.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, both written and verbal, with a strong customer service mentality and high degree of integrity, accountability, and emotional intelligence
- Ability to manage a high volume of tasks with shifting priorities and deadlines
- Superior analytic and problem-solving skills with a thoughtful approach to addressing challenges
- Experience in a progressive, mission-driven, and entrepreneurial environment
- Optimism, adaptability, and a good sense of humor
- Experience in a PEO or equivalent a plus
Our Core Competencies:
- The ability to provide excellent service, including being able to address complex service matters, implement and communicate service changes to everyone involved, and to coach teammates on how to apply the firm’s service standards
- The ability to manage large-scale and cross-firm projects, including delegating and managing all resources, identifying and implementing improved processes, monitoring consistency across project teams, and providing direction and support to teammates
- The ability to facilitate and negotiate among stakeholders with conflicting needs and to generate consensus among decision makers
- The ability to help effectively communicate difficult messages; to adapt style, tone, and content to meet various needs; and to coach teammates on crafting content
- The ability to work cooperatively and inclusively with others to achieve shared goals, including encouraging and facilitating effective compromise, drawing on the capabilities of all team members, and leading team-level knowledge sharing
- The ability to use available resources and feedback to continually develop mastery in your role and facilitate team and project-level learning, including coaching others
- The ability to solve complex challenges by identifying innovative solutions and facilitating coordination with others
About Arabella Advisors
Arabella Advisors helps foundations, philanthropists and investors who are serious about impact achieve the greatest good with their resources. We work on issues ranging from the social and economic advancement of women and girls, and conservation of our climate and planet, to reducing poverty and inequity in the United States and around the world. Our staff members are mission-driven and action-oriented, and have a unique combination of experience in philanthropy, business, nonprofits, government, finance, law, and other fields. We combine creative, strategic thinking with knowledge and networks developed through decades of hands-on experience. The fastest-growing philanthropic advisory firm in the nation, Arabella is also a certified B Corporation.
About Arabella’s Managed Organizations Team
Arabella Advisors provides operations and management support to multiple nonprofit organizations, including the New Venture Fund, the Windward Fund, and the Hopewell Fund—all 501(c)(3) public charities—and the Sixteen Thirty Fund, a 501(c)(4).These managed organizations house new and innovative public interest projects and nonprofits, as well as coordinate collaborative initiatives between donors and administer grants programs. This type of structure is commonly referred to as fiscal sponsorship, and candidates are highly encouraged to research fiscal sponsorship prior to a first interview. The managed organizations provide support to a diverse range of projects, including many focused on conservation, global health and civic engagement.
Working with Us
We are committed to having a passion-driven, inclusive, transparent, collaborative, healthy, and fun culture. We invite you to visit our careers page to learn more.
To encourage work/life balance, we offer flexible work options. Our office is an open space with cubicles and standing desks and informal work areas. Our salaries are closer to the range of a nonprofit and our benefits are excellent. You’ll start with three weeks of vacation, 80 hours of personal time, and 20 hours of paid time to volunteer at an organization of your choice. In addition to six federal holidays, you get to pick four more from a list of inclusive religious holidays and your birthday.
We have a competitive health package that includes medical, vision, dental, and prescription insurance. We also provide funds for professional development, a fitness benefit, and cover part of your personal cell phone plan.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
How to Apply
Submit a resume and a one-page cover letter online. The cover letter should address why you’re excited to work at Arabella and why you’re qualified for this specific job.
We value diversity and inclusion and encourage all qualified people to apply. If we can make this easier through accommodation in the recruitment process, please let us know.
While Arabella is open to individuals from various locations applying to join our team, please note that we generally are unable to pay for relocation expenses.
We will review applications as they are received and look forward to hearing from you.