INTO George Mason University (INTO Mason) is a joint venture between George Mason University and INTO North America. INTO Mason’s unique programs for international students provide tailored academic and English language instruction coupled with a highly supportive learning environment that supports adjustment to life in the U.S. and long-term academic success.
George Mason University is an innovative, entrepreneurial institution with national distinction in both academics and research. Mason is currently the largest and most diverse university in Virginia with students at campuses in Arlington, Fairfax, and Prince William as well as at learning locations across the Commonwealth. Rooted in Mason’s diversity is a campus culture that is both rewarding and exciting work that is meaningful and opportunities to both collaborate and create. Mason is only minutes from the nation's capital, close to cultural activities, excellent schools, and vibrant neighborhoods in a region known for its dynamic growth.
INTO University Partnerships collaborates with leading universities to provide international students with a personalized and highly supportive learning environment in which to acclimatize to life on a US university campus and prepare for long-term academic success. Since 2006, INTO has launched partnerships to internationalize universities in the US, UK and Asia. Universities in the US include: Oregon State University, University of South Florida, Colorado State University, Marshall University, Drew University, George Mason University, Saint Louis University, The University of Alabama at Birmingham, Washington State University, Suffolk University, Illinois State University and Hofstra University.
The Academic Advisor for Academic English will advise Academic English (AE) regarding their study plans, adjustment to the learning environment, and academic progress. In addition, the Advisor will conduct student workshops on academic studies at Mason and serve as an instructor for an undergraduate pathway transition course. The Advisor will report to the Associate Director, Advising and Academic Services.
The Academic Advisor for Academic English will:
· Advise and serve students during the orientation and registration period
· Work closely with the Academic English Program Manager to ensure accurate development and communication of program policies
· Coordinate advising sessions and activities for AE students progressing to pathways or applying for direct admission to Mason
· Monitor student attendance and related interventions
· Supervise a graduate assistant as needed
· Track AE level and program progression
· Update student study plans
· Issue academic/attendance probation contracts and warning notifications in accordance with INTO Mason, George Mason University, and U.S. immigration policies
· Teach one section of an INTO undergraduate pathway transition course each long term
· Collaborate regularly with, and serve as an information and support resource for undergraduate and graduate advisors, faculty, staff, and administrators
· Serve on committees relevant to the position
· Perform other duties as assigned
· Master’s Degree
· Studies in college student personnel, higher education, counselling or related field preferred
· Previous experience in a higher education setting
· Strong intercultural experience and communication skills
Experience working as an academic advisor in an intensive English language program and/or with international students in higher education settings, and enrollment management experience for a for-profit institution. Successful applicants will demonstrate the following:
· Proficiency with computer applications and ability to use technology to enhance the student experience
· Thorough understanding of student development theory and its application
· Understanding of the academic structure (academic programs, curriculum, administrative units) of a university
· An understanding of the fundamentals of programming and workshop development
· Strong organizational and planning skills
· Experience with developmental academic advising philosophy
· Cultural expertise, ability to fluently speak at least one language other than English and/or experience abroad
· An ability to function independently and as a member of a team in a constantly changing environment
· Excellent written and oral communication skills
This is an exempt, full-time position with a pay range of $48,000 - $50,000, plus a full benefit package including Medical, Dental, Life and up to 6% match on 401(k).
This position is based at the George Mason University, Fairfax campus.
Please click the following link to apply:
Application deadline February 28, 2020.
INTO University Partnerships provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. INTO University Partnerships complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities.
INTO George Mason University (INTO Mason) is a joint venture between George Mason University and INTO North America. INTO Mason’s unique programs for international students provide tailored academic and…
Full Benefits Package
Full Benefits Package