Details: $15.50 / hr
1124 Del Paso Boulevard
Are you interested in helping organizations develop public policy and strengthen their messaging? Would you enjoy working directly with knowledgeable professionals and experts in important topics such as education, foster care, the environment or dozens of other topics that have an incredibly difficult time explaining their organizations to anyone without a PhD in their respective fields?
If this sounds right up your alley, you may be interested in becoming our newest Staff Writer in the fastest growing division of News & Review (N&R). The N&R Publications Department produces a wide range of 4- to 16-page custom publications, which tell the story of an organization through profiles that illustrate its mission. The purpose is to move the readers to action. Our clients are primarily nonprofits, service organizations, and government agencies. A sampling can be seen at www.nrpubs.com. N&R has produced over 300 custom publications that are handed out, inserted into newspapers, and used in various forms of social media.
The Custom Publications Staff Writer is responsible for creating branded content published by N&R Publications and ensures a high standard of accuracy and style while writing stories that help our clients accomplish their goals. They report in depth, write stories with appropriate style, and consistently meet deadlines. In addition to the print publications, the Staff Writer creates content for websites, social media, and even video.
Responsibilities for this position include:
- Ensuring accuracy of all copy in Libre Office
- Overseeing various editorial content at editor's discretion
- Adhering to or adapting house style as appropriate
- Interviewing officials and consumers from client organizations
- Writing at least five 550-word stories weekly
- Writing headlines and captions
- Contributing to special issues; always writing for a client (internal or external)
- Consistently adhering to deadlines
- Working cooperatively with editors, writers, photographers and art directors
Our ideal candidate:
- Has strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Possesses excellent writing skills and understanding of content marketing writing
- Is able to effectively work with freelancers and staff members
- Has great time management skills and ability to work within tight deadlines
- Has performed in-depth reporting and research
Education and/or Experience:
Bachelor's Degree (B.A.) from a four-year college or university; or one to two years related experience and/or training in journalism or content marketing; equivalent combination or education and experience.
Typical schedule is 40 hours per week, Monday through Friday. Some overtime efforts may be required to complete some projects on deadline. Changes and additions to these hours and schedule are at the discretion of the employer.
Benefits include medical, dental, vision, PTO and a 401k.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
How To Apply
Through Indeed.com, please submit your resume and a thoughtful cover letter that includes the text of three samples of your work, or links to a URL. In the cover letter, please answer the following questions:
1. Why are you interested in the Staff Writer position with N&R Publications?
2. If a client had a goal, for instance reducing the stigma around mental illness, what kinds of stories do you think our team would be able to tell to accomplish that goal?
3. What one or two things from your prior experience do you see as being the most relevant and valuable to help you succeed in this position?
4. Tell us something about you that we won't learn from your resume.
Applicants who do not fulfill all cover letter requirements will not be considered.
Hiring is contingent upon a positive background check and clear DMV report.
The News & Review is proud to be an equal opportunity employer that actively seeks diversity in the workplace.
No telephone calls, including agency reps, please. This position will remain open until filled.