Social Policy Research Associates (SPR) is seeking a Research Assistant for full-time employment. We are a growing and dynamic research, evaluation, and technical assistance firm located in Oakland, CA that offers its employees deep exposure to many areas of social policy, opportunities for continuous development, and excellent benefits.
The Company: At SPR, we believe in providing rigorous, high quality research, evaluation, training and technical assistance to improve the well-being of diverse groups of individuals, families, organizations, and communities. Our work spans multiple areas of social policy, often focusing on supporting our clients with workforce development, employment training, education, philanthropy, youth development, health, and other human service issues. We are known nationally for our in-depth expertise in a wide range of methodologies, approaches, and fields. Our staff consists of more than 30 professionals with backgrounds in diverse disciplines, including education, sociology, public policy, and economics.
For more information about SPR, please visit our website at www.spra.com.
The Position: We’re looking for a full-time Research Assistant to join our team and support projects across SPR’s extensive portfolio. Our Research Assistants are self-motivated, detail-oriented, and able to multi-task across multiple projects. We look for self-starters who can be flexible and are comfortable working both independently and on a team. This is an entry-level non-exempt position; Master and PhD-level candidates need not apply.
Requirements: To be considered, candidates must meet the following requirements:
- Completion of BA/BS degree in the Social Sciences (e.g., Education, Sociology, Economics, Anthropology, Public Policy, Political Science). Preference may be given to candidates with 1-2 years of work experience in any of these areas.
- Interest in conducting research, evaluation, and technical assistance in the social policy arena.
- Understanding of and some experience with quantitative and/or qualitative research methods, including surveys, interviews, and document review.
- Strong organizational, analytical, and writing skills are essential.
- Strong computer skills; experience with Microsoft Office Suite (especially Word, Excel, and PowerPoint) is mandatory.
- Direct experience and interest in working within diverse communities or with vulnerable populations.
Our ideal candidate will also have some or all of the following qualifications:
- Experience with quantitative data analysis software, such as STATA, SAS, or R (or advanced Excel skills), is a strong plus.
- Experience with web technology, such as CSS and HTML.
- Experience preparing materials and presentations, managing large-scale events and conferences, and/or developing online trainings (e.g. webinars).
- Experience with data visualization or design using design software, such as Tableau or Adobe Creative Suite.
- Spanish language fluency.
Responsibilities: Depending on skills, Research Assistant duties include a mix of tasks across projects in multiple areas of social policy. On an average day, a Research Assistant may:
- Assist in the collection, maintenance, and/or analysis of qualitative and quantitative data.
- Format and create engaging visuals and reports for publicly disseminated research.
- Assist in the development, administration, and analysis of mail/online surveys.
- Collect and analyze secondary data sources, such as grant documents, school data, literature reviews, etc.
- Update and maintain web portals and websites.
- Contribute to the development and/or support the design of technical assistance materials and presentations (e.g. slide shows, event programs, handouts).
- Perform administrative support tasks, including coordinating data collection tasks, updating key organizational documents, copying/filing, meeting support, scheduling appointments, troubleshooting of technical issues that might arise for staff, etc.
The Location: SPR is conveniently located right on top of the City Center BART station in downtown Oakland. The building plaza has great food options for lunch, and we are just a few blocks away from Chinatown restaurants. Our location in Oakland also allows us to be in close contact with many of the communities we support through our work.
Other information: In this role, you can expect work in an office environment; occasional lifting up to 40 lbs.; frequent telephone usage; standing/walking up to 50% of the time; sitting up to 80% of the time; use of office machines; heavy keyboarding.
SPR values a staff with diverse perspectives and backgrounds, and is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
We offer excellent benefits (including health, dental, vision, 401K plan, and an employee stock ownership plan).
Level of Language Proficiency
Excellent competency in English and prefer Spanish fluency.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Deadline for applications is September 28, 2018. Please note we will move forward with promising candidates before this date. No phone calls please.