Hours per week
At least three days per week, but available the full last week of August and first week of September.
24 Beacon Street
This internship offers an in-depth experience working for State Rep. Jon Hecht who is organizing a second Citizens’ Initiative Review (CIR) Pilot. CIR is a process in deliberative democracy to provide voters with information on complex ballot initiatives. You can read more about the first pilot here: https://www.cirmass2016.org/. You will work closely with Rep. Hecht’s legislative aide throughout the summer to help organize and run the 4-day event taking place the first week of September. When not working on CIR, you will assist the busy legislative office with policy research, bill summaries, constituent services and communications.
- CIR preparation: Assist with mailers to find and select citizen panelists, coordinate logistics with the various participating organizations, identify and invite non-partisan experts to speak on the selected ballot proposal, update the CIR website, and write press-releases, invitations to VIPs and other promotional and informational materials as needed.
- Research: Lead background research on a wide variety of issues that come before the legislature or that constituents have raised with the office.
- Represent the Office: Participate in meetings, hearings, and briefings; take notes and ask questions, and write summary memos.
- Undergraduate, graduate or law students only
- Able to work on a small, cohesive team and to complete projects independently
- Strong communication skills, especially writing
- Tech savvy; competent in Microsoft Office
- Plus: Experience with website design; communications
- Strong interest in and/or knowledge of state government and election processes.
Timeframe: June through early September
Compensation and required hours of work: The internship is unpaid but may qualify for college credit.
To Apply: E-mail resume, cover letter, a writing sample and hours of availability to email@example.com
How To Apply
Please include a resume, cover letter and writing sample.