Hours per week
2180 Milvia Street
About the Internship
The office of Berkeley City Councilmember Kate Harrison is seeking highly motivated and dynamic interns to make important contributions to the City of Berkeley.
Working in the Councilmember’s office is an excellent opportunity for those interested in city planning (housing), public policy or communications to get firsthand experience in a fast-paced governmental office, while directly improving the lives of Berkeley residents.
A Council office is an exciting environment. One day, the office might need help writing newsletter blurbs; on another, we might require serious policy research or drafting of legislation. Some days, we might just need some help with filing and other administrative tasks.
More than anything, the office seeks an adaptable, intelligent, and hardworking individual with an ardent desire to learn how the sausage gets made.
- Support the development of policy through research, analysis, memos, minutes and legislation drafting.
- Contribute to our community outreach efforts, day-to-day constituent services and planning of events as needed.
- Attend public meetings or events related to position. (Must be available some nights and weekends)
- Strong research, writing and word processing skills
- Attention to detail
- Passion for local government and politics
- Interest in affordable housing policy and other issues
- Self-starting mentality
- Commitment of at least 8-12 hours a week
- Data analysis skills in Microsoft Excel
Please send your resume and a writing sample (no more than two pages) to Councilmember Harrison’s staff at email@example.com. (If you wish to convey additional information, we will accept an optional cover letter.) Submissions will be accepted until positions are filled.