Details: This is an exempt full-time position. The salary range is $135,004 - $187,420 with exact compensation to be determined by the Chief Executive Officer.
1125 Tamalpais Avenue
About the Position
The Director of Public Affairs works under the general direction of the Chief Executive Officer to oversee development, management and implementation of programs that communicate, promote and market MCE and its programs and services. The Director of Public Affairs directs, manages, and supervises MCE’s Public Affairs team, which includes three divisions: Account Services, Community Development, and Marketing Communications. The Director of Public Affairs is also responsible for oversight of and collaboration with external consultants that support this function, and other duties as assigned.
The Director of Public Affairs supervises or manages the supervision of internal public affairs staff. The incumbent also provides oversight for other supporting external professional service providers and consultants.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities (Illustrative Only)
· Plans and prepares for Public Affairs staffing and hiring needs
· Manages, plans, and adapts Public Affairs internal staffing management structure as needed
· Plans, directs, and coordinates the goals and work plan for, and in collaboration with, the Public Affairs team
· Assigns work activities, projects and programs; reviews and evaluates work products, methods, and procedures; meets with staff weekly (one-on-one) and bimonthly (full team) to discuss and resolve related issues
· Conducts performance evaluations, implements performance correction as needed, trains and coaches staff in work procedures
· Evaluates data to determine success of public affairs team towards reaching agency goals
· Identifies and solves problems within and between the three Public Affairs team divisions
· Identifies, reviews and documents processes for recurring projects to protect and maintain institutional knowledge
· Assists with the implementation of MCE’s Strategic Plan
· Updates MCE Board of Directors and its committees on customer service, marketing, communications, and public relations progress, projects and programs via email (monthly) and at Board meetings (quarterly and as needed)
· Provides talking points and information to Board of Directors and staff to utilize for external and internal meetings and presentations
· Facilitates Public Affairs team meetings
· Identifies communication gaps and facilitates inter-team, and agency wide, communication and collaboration
· Develops and maintains relationships with print, radio and television media, community groups and organizations, business leaders, and other public agencies and governmental representatives
· Develops strategies and implementation plans to respond to media inquiries and publicity, including misinformation campaigns
· Serves as MCE’s media spokesperson as needed
· Provides direction, guidance and review of community outreach plans and implementation for the enrollment of new communities during service area expansion, including meeting compliance for legal requirements
· Provides direction for strategic communications with member municipal agency staff and elected officials
· Provides direction as needed for engaging and managing relationships with advocacy community
· Provides direction as needed to management for resolution of billing issues, customer complaints, and technical issues that impact customers
· Provides direction as needed to staff responding to external customer inquiries (via email, telephone, or in-person)
· Provides direction as needed for management of data manager and call center to improve and streamline customer service, and service to MCE
· Provides direction, guidance and review of business development plans to increase customer acquisition, encourage participation in various programs, and support customer retention
· Ensures MCE meets compliance for required customer notifications including, but not limited to, PG&E joint rate mailer, California Energy Commission power content mailer, Green-e required mailers, and new move-in enrollment notices
· Provides direction, guidance and review, in collaboration with staff and consultants, to plan and execute strategic marketing campaigns (content and venues), collateral and promotional material that support business and community development goals
· Collaborates with staff and consultants to improve website design, capabilities, and content
· Writes and reviews press releases, feature articles and other materials for newspaper, magazines and related venues
· Reviews e-newsletter and blog content
· Provides direction for event and sponsorship opportunities and strategies
· Provides direction for MCE- sponsored ribbon cutting ceremonies, press conferences and events
Education and experience equivalent to a Bachelor’s Degree in communications, public administration, environmental planning, business, marketing or a related field and at least seven (7) years of progressively responsible experience in a supervisory or management role in the field of public affairs. Experience working for a public utility or a Community Choice Aggregation program is desirable.
Benefits include paid vacation, sick, personal, family medical and parental leave; employer paid medical, dental, vision, life and long-term disability insurance; employer contribution to a 401 (a) retirement plan; optional 457(b) deferred compensation plan, flexible spending account and commute alternatives program.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
This recruitment requires a writing sample: a press release about MCE’s Local Renewables that must be submitted with your cover letter and resume.
MCE requests qualified applicants provide their cover letter, a resume, and the writing sample no later than 4 pm on April 26, 2018. Selection procedures may consist of any or all of the following: application ranking, skills test, and interviews. It is anticipated that first interviews will be scheduled during the week of May 7, 2018. Interviews are tentatively scheduled to take place at MCE offices 1125 Tamalpais Ave., San Rafael CA 94901
If you are a highly motivated, detail oriented and well-organized individual who meets the minimum requirements of this position, please apply now!
To apply, please send your cover letter and resume via email to jobs@MCEcleanenergy.org