University of Massachusetts Amherst
Under the Director of Communications and Marketing, the Communications Manager will support the College of Natural Sciences (CNS) research, initiative and community. This position will work with all college departments and offices to strategically communicate to all audiences on internal and external channels. This position is responsible for writing, designing and publishing engaging and accurate communications pieces and will assist in long-term strategy and planning for CNS communications - including maintaining and improving the college’s website, writing news briefs, basic graphic designing, developing social media strategies, and contributing ideas to further the CNS and UMass brand through storytelling. A successful candidate will have experience with cross-departmental collaboration, creative problem-solving, and creating positive, productive partnerships.
- Write and edits copy for projects including news articles, website updates, newsletters, development material, and social media posts.
- Creates edits and designs imagery, reports media and photography.
- Help create and maintain the College-wide publications calendar, translating messaging concepts and large college initiatives into practical storytelling and collateral.
- Produce content for and provides regular updates to CNS webpages.
- Assist departments with major communications initiatives including redesigning departmental websites, creating communications strategies, planning storytelling series and producing photo/video shoots.
- Develop and lead workshops for CNS communicators and other on topics including communications best-practices, branding, social media, website editing, graphic design and photo editing.
- Work creatively, collaboratively, and effectively to promote teamwork, diversity, equality and inclusiveness. In the performance of work, take initiative, be creative and operate with self-direction. Work in partnership with colleagues within the CNS community and across the campus to support the Dean’s strategic priorities.
- Work collaboratively and effectively to promote teamwork, diversity, equality and inclusiveness. In the performance of work, take initiative, be creative, and operate with self-direction. Work in partnership with colleagues within the CNS community and across the campus to support the dean’s strategic priorities.
- Perform other duties as assigned in support of the mission and goals of the College of Natural Sciences.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism or related major.
- Three years’ experience related communications and/or marketing experience.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, to organize multiple tasks and set priorities for action, take initiative, be creative and operate with self-direction in a fast-paced office environment.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to interact effectively and work productively in establishing and maintaining harmonious working relationships with a diverse population of staff and students.
- Excellent writing and editing skills.
- Excellent planning and web project management skills across multiple simultaneously developing platforms such as websites, social media, apps, mobile, etc.
- Experience using various social media platforms and web integration tools.
- Knowledge of multimedia content platforms and databases, such as Drupal and Photoshop.
- Solid analytical and problem solving skills. Ability to organize and prioritize goals; ability to collaborate well to formulate plans and objectives in accordance with overall college goals; ability to identify and implement process improvements.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and to set and meet deadlines while maintaining high standards of accuracy and quality.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions:
Typical office environment.
Monday-Friday, 8:30am-5:00pm. Required to work evenings and weekends as necessary.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Submit a letter of application, resume and contact information for three professional references to: http://careers.umass.edu/amherst/en-us/job/496366/communications-manager-cns
Apply by November 19, 2018 in order to ensure priority consideration. Search may remain open until a suitable candidate pool has been identified.
As part of a commitment to their own multicultural community, the College of Natural Sciences seeks an individual with a demonstrated commitment to diversity and one who will understand and embrace university initiatives and aspirations. http://www.cns.umass.edu/diversity-equity-inclusion.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.
Minimum Education Required