Details: $5,288 - $7,795 / Month
San Mateo County
VOCATIONAL REHABILITATION COUNSELOR II/III
Human Services Agency
County of San Mateo
The County of San Mateo's Human Services Agency is seeking a Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor II/III. This position is a fully experienced journey/advanced journey level class in the Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor series. The incumbent has a full caseload, which includes individuals with severe emotional disabilities and serious vocational deficiencies, and performs a complete range of counseling and placement services using accepted vocational rehabilitation principles and techniques. The duties may include, but are not limited to: interviewing clients, evaluating skills and job readiness, analyzing medical information, vocational case management, report writing and charting client progress and developing a vocational rehabilitation plan to assist Vocational Rehabilitation Services (VRS) clients into securing and maintaining employment.
The ideal candidate will have:
- A Master's Degree in Rehabilitation Counseling
- Two years of experience providing vocational and supportive counseling to assist clients with overcoming barriers to vocational success.
- Two years of experience evaluating work skills and work capacities to assist clients with formulating vocational plans
- Two years of experience working with diverse populations, including people who were previously experiencing homelessness, people with mental health disabilities, people in alcohol and drug recovery programs, formerly incarcerated individuals and others with disabilities and/or barriers to employment
- Experience collaborating/conferring with treatment providers, including case managers, Department of Rehabilitation staff and medical personnel
- Experience facilitating vocational groups
- Ability to analyze and interpret medical, social, psychological and educational data to develop an action plan based on that data
- Ability to administer and evaluate vocational tests
- Knowledge of social security regulations as well as other benefits programs to provide benefits counseling to individuals, including work incentives
- Ability to follow complex policies and administrative procedures
- A thorough working knowledge and demonstrated skill in vocational rehabilitation counseling principles and techniques
- Creative problem-solving skills with ability to look "outside the box" and be action-oriented
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, as well as computer proficiency
Note: Extra-help assignments are at-will and the employee is paid on an hourly basis. Some extra help positions are eligible for benefits under the Affordable Care Act. Extra-help workers are not guaranteed permanent status at the end of the extra-help assignment.
Final Filing Date: August 15, 2018
To learn more about the position and to apply online, visit our website at http://jobs.smcgov.org. Applications are only accepted online. EOE
Minimum Education Required