Office of the Deputy Mayor for Health and Human Services
Job ID Number: 22068
The Office of the Deputy Mayor for Health and Human Services advances New York City’s efforts to coordinate system transformation across the City’s public healthcare system, expand access to social services for all, and ensure that agencies that oversee the City’s most vulnerable populations, including children in foster care and families living in homeless shelters, are run compassionately, equitably and effectively. With a portfolio that amounts to approximately $22 billion, the Office of the Deputy Mayor for Health and Human Services has an unprecedented opportunity to build a team focused on implementing bold efforts within and across ten City agencies and Mayor’s Offices.
Working in the NYC Mayor’s Office at City Hall within the Office of the Deputy Mayor for Health and Human Services, the Policy Analyst will focus on the health component of the HHS portfolio, working on key issues facing the Department of Health and Mental Hygiene, NYC Health + Hospitals, and the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner. More specifically, the Analyst will support City Hall project management of key health initiatives, including but not limited to: One New York: Health Care for Our Neighborhoods, a plan to transform the City’s public hospital system; HealingNYC: Preventing Overdoses, Saving Lives - a comprehensive plan that will invest $38 million annually to reduce opioid overdose deaths by 35 percent over the next five years; upcoming citywide social service integration initiatives; and several correctional health initiatives. Though key projects may evolve, the Policy Analyst will broadly contribute to the implementation of the City’s commitment to ensure that all New Yorkers have access to equitable
health care and overall wellness, regardless of neighborhood, income, or immigration status.
The Policy Analyst will:
• Conduct quantitative and qualitative research and provide recommendations to team members on health policy proposals and initiatives focused on public health, health equity, innovation in care delivery, correctional health, and behavioral health.
• Assist in overseeing and monitoring projects and policy initiatives to ensure that goals and timelines are met, coordinating with all appropriate City agencies and HHS team members.
• Serve as a liaison between health agencies and the Office of the Deputy Mayor, to monitor projects and assist in handling day-to- day needs;
• Coordinate with agencies and other partners relevant to public health, mental/behavioral health, and healthcare delivery to research proposed initiatives, meet project goals and timelines, and review agency and interagency work product;
• Provide administrative support and coordination to the health team, including preparation of correspondence and briefing memoranda, background research and information, meeting planning and assistance, and staffing the Deputy Mayor.
• A Baccalaureate degree from an accredited college, plus 1 year of full-time relevant professional experience in a field related to this position; or
• A combination of education and/or experience which is equivalent to the above requirement;
• Background in policy, planning, public health and/or health care;
• Attention to detail and excellent organization skills;
• Flexibility and good humor to work as part of a dynamic team in an ever-changing environment, demonstrated ability to juggle multiple projects effectively;
• Outstanding communication and interpersonal skills;
• New York City government work experience or relevant research or technical background is a plus.
Salary: Commensurate with experience.
To Apply: Please submit a resume, cover letter and three (3) references to
New York City Residency Is Required Within 90 Days Of Appointment
The City Of New York And The Office Of The Mayor Are Equal Opportunity Employers
Minimum Education Required