12725 Southwest Millikan Way
The City of Beaverton, recognized as one of the 100 best places to live in the United States, is seeking an experienced current planner to process a wide variety of development applications and conduct research and studies as part of a team of 13 current and long range planners.
Beaverton is a diverse first-ring suburb with a growing population more than 95,000 people. The city is committed to fostering an inclusive, welcoming environment and building community, creating a vibrant downtown and enhancing livability.
The city is looking for a planner with experience successfully shepherding development projects through public review processes and achieving great outcomes for both developers and the community. This role will focus primarily on review of land use applications. In addition, there will be opportunities to conduct research and public engagement; collaborate across departments and with other jurisdictions in the region; and recommend policies that further Beaverton's goals.
- Responsibilities: Prepare clear and effective written staff reports, technical reports and presentations
- Research, analyze and evaluate land use applications and technical reports;
- Read and interpret maps and plans
- Explain technical matters in person, on the phone and in writing in a manner accessible to non-technical audiences
- Meet with and assist community members and developers to ensure satisfactory completion of the development review process. Respond to inquiries concerning planning projects or development projects and city standards
- Work closely with staff from Site Development (staff that permit and inspect public improvements built by developers), Building, Public Works (including engineering staff), and partner agencies to facilitate problem solving for complex development applications
- Manage projects, conduct research and develop policy recommendations under supervision
- Regularly attend meetings and public hearings, some of which are outside regular working hours
- Use a computer and compose materials for publication related to land use issues and applications
- Support and respect diversity in the workplace
- Other duties as assigned.
The Ideal Candidate: The ideal candidate is:
- Self-motivated and organized
- A superb communicator verbally, visually, and in writing
- Experienced applying land use regulations, including design standards and guidelines
- Strives for equity in planning and meaningful public engagement
- Experienced in planning for denser areas such as downtown environments
- A problem solver that both gets the "big picture" and is attuned to technical details
- Accustomed to working in a political environment
- Knowledgeable about the principles and practices of planning at the city, county, regional and state level, Oregon experience a plus.
- Possesses strong interpersonal skills to work with a wide variety of people, including historically underrepresented communities.
- Bachelor's degree in planning, geography, urban design or related field and
- Three years progressive experience in current planning; OR
- Master's degree planning, geography, urban design or related field and
- Two years experience in current planning
- Ability to pass reference check and background check
Compensation: Salary range is $27.35-$36.65 per hour.
Starting salary will be determined depending on relevant work experience. The city pays the full retirement contribution to PERS; provides employees with an opportunity to participate in a deferred compensation retirement plan; and offers excellent health, dental, vision and life insurance coverage. The city also has available a tuition reimbursement program and a public service loan forgiveness program.
Excellent Benefits Package including medical, dental, vision. Please go to www.BeavertonOregon.gov/hr for additional details about the City of Beaverton's benefits package.
Minimum Education Required