First 5 Orange County is seeking a dynamic, experienced individual with a mission-driven approach to support program development and implementation. Reporting to the Vice President of Programs, the Program Manager will also work with the Senior Program Manager to steer initiatives to create meaningful, sustainable outcomes for young children in Orange County.
This is an exciting opportunity to join First 5 Orange County as we grow our team and continue driving toward our long-term goals of resilient families, quality early learning, and comprehensive health and development for children and families during the prenatal-5 years.
A. Program Development and Implementation
- Manages portfolio of First 5 OC programs that enable achievement of First 5 OC’s Strategic Plan goals. Manages program budgets; tracks program progress toward identified goals; confirms alignment of grantee activities with program goals; and supports program funding compliance.
- Acts as primary point of contact for funded programs and consultant program managers. Communicates with these stakeholders on program requirements and changes and actively troubleshoots and resolves issues. Supports appropriate workload assignments and monitors balance between internal staff and consultant resources.
- Regularly provides program updates to Senior Program Manager and VP of Programs, including risk status and planned mitigations. Escalates high-risk items to Senior Program Manager for resolution support.
- Engages with funded partners to develop relationships, understand challenges, and cull what’s working/best practices.
- Supports responses to formal and informal requests for proposals from local, state, and federal agencies; foundations; and other funding entities as needed.
- Represents First 5 OC in a community context, including at Community Collaboratives, to develop and strengthen community relationships.
- Liaises with staff from County agencies, e.g. Social Services Agency and Health Care Agency; corporations; and other community organizations to understand their perspective as well as to educate them on First 5 OC’s goals for improving early childhood systems of care.
- Actively participates in First 5 Network to collaborate with statewide peers and emphasize collective, statewide impact on early childhood issues.
- Supports First 5 OC Technical Advisory Committee activities as needed.
- Participates in the First 5 OC culture of learning, including developing an understanding of the organization’s approach to population-level impact and commitment to systems impact.
- Provides input into the presentation and promotion of related findings based on knowledge about key program stakeholders.
- Stays attuned and current on trends in early childhood services and policy. Uses this knowledge to contextualize and inform First 5 OC program administration.
- Cultivates and maintains appropriate strategic alliances and professional relationships. Promotes and supports a focus and understanding of First 5 OC’s vision and mission among these groups.
- Understands and articulates First 5 OC’s vision, mission, and values, and aligns activities with First 5 OC Strategic Plan.
- Drafts and reviews technical, specific agenda meeting items as needed for six First 5 OC Board meetings per year.
- Actively participates in internal meetings and initiatives designed to streamline work, improve communication, and support the implementation of the First 5 OC strategic plan.
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree.
- At least three years of progressively responsible experience in the areas of program implementation and management, including budget.
- Demonstrated ability to work as part of a team to achieve discrete outcomes.
- Demonstrated ability to learn quickly, take initiative to identify and solve problems, adapt and change course in response to changing dynamics, and project manage multiple interrelated workstreams.
- Knowledge of the policies, systems, and issues relating to the mental and physical health, development, and education of young children.
- Strategic communication skills, including demonstrated proficiency in writing and editing.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.
- Demonstrated commitment to mission-driven organizations.
- Ability to be present in First 5 OC offices or other designated work location five days per week. Ability to travel within Orange County and adjacent (Los Angeles or San Diego) as needed for meetings or presentations.
- Familiarity with the Orange County landscape of social, educational, and health services for young children and families.
- Content knowledge about one or more of the First 5 OC focus areas: Resilient Families, Quality Early Learning, and Comprehensive Health and Development, in the context of children ages 0-5 and their families.
Status: Full-time, at-will employment.
Workplace Environment: This position is based in the First 5 OC Santa Ana, California office. First 5 OC maintains an inclusive, supportive environment, and we promote employee development and autonomy.