CUNY EDGE is the latest initiative borne of a 20+ year partnership between the City University of New York (CUNY) and the New York City Human Resources Administration (HRA) to support public assistance recipients enrolled in college. Launched in 2016, CUNY EDGE provides public assistance recipients enrolled at CUNY with a range of services, benefits, and supports so they achieve academic excellence, graduate on time, and find employment. Key components of the program include academic, personal, and professional advisement, personal development seminars, paid work experience, and public benefits case management assistance. Serving over 5,000 students across 19 campuses, CUNY EDGE is led by a Central Office team supporting over 80 staff at the campuses who provide direct services to students. For more information about CUNY EDGE, visit cuny.edu/cunyedge.
Housed within the Office of Academic Affairs in the CUNY Central Office, CUNY EDGE is seeking a motivated self-starter with significant management experience to serve as Deputy Director. Reporting to the University Director, the Deputy Director will spearhead the program’s professional development and communications work, while supporting the day-to-day operations at the campuses. The Deputy will also support the Director in strategic planning efforts and overall program administration, especially budget and contract management.
- Provide leadership to support the overall success of CUNY EDGE and serve on the CUNY EDGE Central Office Leadership Team
- Lead a newly formed unit focused on developing and implementing plans to support:
- professional development and training activities for Central Office and campus-based staff, including identifying and sourcing training resources; developing and leading program training sessions; facilitating peer learning experiences; assessing and developing new diversity, equity and inclusion work;
- communications and marketing for internal and external audiences including drafting media pieces on program/student success, creating outreach strategies and materials, and inventorying all CUNY EDGE web properties and developing a plan to redesign and align;
- Coach and support Program Associate
- Support campuses in the day-to-day operations of their CUNY EDGE programs, including onboarding of new campus-based staff and managing inter-campus communications and collaborations;
- Assist the University Director to manage strategic planning to advance the mission of CUNY EDGE;
- Support management of $10+ million budget and subcontract agreements;
- Maintain and expand relationships and collaborations with CUNY campus departments, programs, and leadership;
- Facilitate regular meetings with both Central Office and campus staff;
- May act on behalf of University Director in their absence;
- Attend staff meetings and trainings as required.
- Perform special projects and other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree and at least eight years' relevant experience required; Masters preferred
- Five (5) years of progressively responsible program administration and planning experience, preferably in an educational or social service program serving low-income students;
- Excellent writing, presentation and group facilitation skills;
- Commitment to promoting college access and success in post-secondary education;
- Adept at working independently as well as collaboratively with stakeholders and diverse populations in a fast-paced, time-sensitive environment;
- Strong organizational skills with ability to manage multiple projects and meet deadlines
- Ability to use data and research findings for program and staff development purposes
- Demonstrated success managing budgets and contracts
- Proactive, creative, and able to develop innovative approaches and exercise sound judgment; can work under deadlines and adapt quickly to changing situations and priorities;
- Proficiency with Microsoft Suite, databases, publishing and web content management software and systems;
- Available for occasional evening and weekend work, and able to travel to multiple college campuses located in the five boroughs of New York City preferred, once available.
- Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the position will be temporarily hybrid starting in August 2021, with 2 – 3 days per week in the office and 2 – 3 days remote work from home. In the near future, this position will operate fully in-person in a professional office environment. The office is located at 555 West 57thStreet, New York, NY.
- This position operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as personal computers, laptops, tablets, smart phone, photocopiers, filing cabinets and other presentation materials.
- While performing these duties, the employee is required to perform physical activities such as, but not limited to, lifting items (up to 20 pounds), bending, reaching, sitting for prolonged periods of time.
- Ability to travel to other CUNY sites as needed and when feasible.
We are committed to enhancing our diverse academic community by actively encouraging people of all race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetic information, disability, age, or protected veteran status to apply. We take pride in our pluralistic community and continue to seek excellence through diversity and inclusion. RFCUNY is an EEO/AA Employer.