First 5 Orange County's Bridges Maternal Child Health Network programs, operated in conjunction with several County and community-based partners, utilize a database known as Bridges Connect. The database is administered by a third party, contains confidential patient/client data, and is used for referral and case management. Users include staff with read-only and edit access along the network’s referral and service provision continuum. Bridges Connect access is governed by the policies and procedures outlined in a Data User Agreement, which all users must sign.
First 5 Orange County is seeking a Data Analyst, Home Visiting Initiative, better known as HVI, to perform quality assurance and ensure the integrity and compliance of the Bridges Connect data and to prepare regular reports.
Reporting to the Senior Manager, Evaluation, the Data Analyst, HVI is First 5 Orange County’s key resource in tracking and managing all HVI-related data. The analyst works closely with the internal program manager overseeing HVI programs and funding and with Orange County’s Social Services Agency (SSA).
The Data Analyst consistently and actively participates in partner meetings and continuous improvement initiatives.
A. Data Collection, Analysis and Reporting
- Collects data from program partners in various forms, primarily Excel files, and subjects it to the program’s standard review and reconciliation methodology, producing a single dataset in an Excel file. Follows up with providers as necessary to obtain clarification or to request data corrections, revising single dataset to reflect updates. Obtains approval from First 5 OC program manager and submits to SSA on a regular and as-needed basis.
- Understands and applies SSA requirements and preferences and State requirements defining data collection and interpretation.
- Runs aggregate program data reports from Bridges Connect and conducts quality assurance on the reports. Submits reports to staff and consultants, HVI providers, and SSA to meet State requirements, identify county outcomes, support program management, and other needs.
- Performs analyses to identify referral and service trends and opportunities for continuous quality improvement.
- Continuously monitors data quality and works with providers to identify gaps in data collection and improve database entry accuracy and completeness. Educates program partners on data entry and submission, including the need for consistency. Clarifies questions about data interpretation.
- Maintains discretion and integrity in all activities, which include handling Personally Identifiable Information (PII) and Personal Health Information (PHI).
- Ensures compliance with PII and PHI requirements, including compliance with the First 5 OC Confidentiality and Data Sharing Protocol and maintaining a current User Confidentiality Agreement on file.
B. Database Administration
- Supports Bridges Connect users, troubleshooting and resolving questions or escalating to the database administrator vendor.
- Liaises with database administrator to manage Bridges Connect access and Data User Agreements for consultants, funded partner users, and others.
- Supports First 5 OC program consultant and database administrator in a project to customize the database for the HVI program. Provides insights into the customization project using knowledge gained from interacting with the data. Automates the data reconciliation process as the customization project evolves.
- Attends monthly program meetings with HVI providers and SSA staff.
- Communicates with HVI program manager, consultants, and funded partners as needed to ensure cleanliness and accuracy of HVI data.
- Supports First 5 OC Board meetings and other meetings as needed by providing information specifically related to the HVI program data.
- Actively participates in internal meetings and initiatives designed to streamline work and improve communication.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree. May be substituted with a combination of an Associate’s degree and significant related experience.
- Minimum of two years of experience manipulating and updating complex datasets in databases built in UNIX, Windows, Oracle, IBM DB2, or Microsoft SQL Server. Experience must include reconciling data entered in a system other than the primary database and unifying multiple datasets.
- Experience designing and preparing database reports and identifying related trends and patterns.
- Experience supporting database users to troubleshoot and resolve issues. Ability to communicate clearly and productively with users of varied skills and abilities.
- Demonstrated ability to learn new skills and content, work independently, and communicate effectively.
- Organized, detail-oriented mindset.
- Advanced Microsoft Excel and Word skills.
- Knowledge of PII and PHI compliance requirements.
- Ability to balance and prioritize multiple responsibilities and deadlines.
- Ability to be present in First 5 OC offices or other designated work location five days per week. Ability to travel within Orange County as needed for meetings.
- Experience managing a database for a user group.
- Experience handling large amounts of PII and/or PHI in a healthcare or social service context.
- Experience revising procedures and supporting users with a transition to a new or altered database.
- Experience with Bridges Connect, in either a program or consultant capacity.
- Familiarity with the concepts related to social and health services for new mothers, young children and families.
Status: Full-time, at-will employment.
Workplace Environment: This position is based in the First 5 OC Santa Ana, California office. First 5 OC maintains an inclusive, supportive environment, and we promote employee development and autonomy.