747 Market Street
The City of Tacoma is recruiting for the special project position of Events, Communication and Outreach Project Specialist. This position is responsible for technical and professional work in continuing and special project planning for the Office of Environmental Policy and Sustainability related to implementation of the Environmental Action Plan and the Sustainable Materials Management Plan. The position is responsible for developing projects to meet special needs within an overall program and for providing technical assistance to implement projects. Work will build Office capacity and involves assessing needs, developing and evaluating projects, and incorporating elements of social marketing for sustainable behavior change. The Specialist will implement outreach and communication strategies for equitable community engagement around current projects and opportunities offered by the Office and partners.
Our ideal candidate enjoys working in a team environment and possesses great communication, planning, project management and analytical skills and a professional and courteous attitude. If the below list of personal traits sounds like you, then you are just the type of person we are searching for to join our team!
- Positive personality who enjoys working with a diverse group of co-workers.
- Enjoys and excels in working independently and as part of a team.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills.
- Is highly engaged in their work, a self-starter whose enthusiasm with environmental sustainability encourages and motivates others to want to participate.
- Loves to connect with people in the community and provide program information to the public.
- Is a lifelong learner who seeks out knowledge about current trends and opportunities in environmental topics to support program development.
- Excellent attendance and personal accountability.
The Principles that Guide Us:
Tacoma, the City of Destiny, has a workforce of dedicated, talented employees with unique skill and perspectives. We embrace innovation and strive for excellence and community engagement. The Principles that Guide Us, Integrity, Service, Excellence and Equity, speak to the values that we embody as City of Tacoma employees, and represent the core of our work in public service.
- Participate in developing, assessing, and implementing programs and projects to meet the goals of the Environmental Action Plan and Sustainable Materials Management Plan, such as the Preventing Wasted Food program, the South Sound Sustainability Expo event, and recycling in multifamily residential communities.
- Provide assistance in evaluating the effectiveness of projects and programs, including the Bring Your Own Bag program, and work with a team to implement improvements and incorporate elements of social marketing for sustainable behavior change.
- Coordinate communication with the public to promote programs and projects for equitable community engagement, including event planning, development and maintenance of sustainability internet pages, graphic design of outreach materials, e-newsletters, presentations, and social media communications.
- Provide technical assistance in managing the Green Event and the Sustainability Small Grant programs, including outreach and communications.
- Assist with other Office programs and tasks as needed, including technical assistance to the Sustainable Tacoma Commission, the Sustainability Speaker Series, and Urban Forestry programs.
City of Tacoma Recruitment Information:
One of the primary goals of the City of Tacoma Equity and Empowerment Initiative is that the City of Tacoma workforce reflects the community it serves. We actively work to eliminate racial and other disparities and we welcome candidates with diverse and/or multicultural skill sets and personal experiences. Our goal is for Tacoma to be an inclusive and equitable place to live, work and play.
The City of Tacoma provides excellent medical, dental and vision plans for the whole family; paid holidays and paid leave; participation in the Tacoma Public Employees' Retirement System (alternate plan for Police/Fire); continuing education and advancement opportunities and a growing variety of City-sponsored health and wellness opportunities and incentives.
Minimum Education Required