DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES/ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
The City of Houston's Housing and Community Development Department (HCDD) seeks to create a city in which every resident has an affordable home in a community where they can thrive. Partnering with non-profit, governmental, and local entities, HCDD strives to strengthen Houston's neighborhoods, provide true housing choice and execute the Mayor's vision for One Houston with complete communities throughout. Since Hurricane Harvey, HCDD is managing more than one billion dollars dedicated to helping low and moderate-income families recover.
To achieve this vision, HCDD is seeking a Staff Analyst (Data/Reporting Analyst) to join its team. In this position, you will be responsible for identifying the need for and initiating a wide array of reporting projects to support multiple functional areas within the department. Candidates should possess advanced skills in data analytics and report development tools and methodologies. Highly qualified candidates will possess the ability to work independently from broad goals to set and deliver on work objectives, assess needs and deliver results; manage a heavy workload with competing deadlines; and adapt to frequently changing work priorities.
- Creating accurate, consistent and timely reporting by extracting information from various applications and systems, manipulating data, and developing user friendly final outputs leveraging advanced Excel, Power BI, or other tools to deliver actionable insights, identify critical metrics and KPIs, and develop and/or automate reports in the most effective medium.
- Proactively analyzing financial, production, productivity, performance, and other data to answer key questions from stakeholders or out of self-initiated curiosity with an eye for what drives business performance.
- Identifying and investigating reporting processes that are inefficient, identifying reporting automation opportunities, implementing streamlined reporting processes, and ensuring data integrity via validation to achieve measurable gains in data quality and report development time frames.
- Driving projects to create new reports, data models, and information tools based on self-derived insights or business needs (i.e. gather requirements, document processes, and build business use cases) and producing and maintaining inventories of standard and/or best practice reports and documenting reporting templates, dashboard designs, and data sources.
- Managing all aspects of the report development life cycle including, assessment, initiation, development, testing, production, and end user adoption and analyzing the structure, content, and quality of data and developing and maintaining protocols for handling, processing, and cleansing data.
- Producing management briefs/summaries, technical written materials, standard operating procedures, training content, etc. and providing technical assistance and/or training in the areas of data analysis and report development, data integrity and validation, analytical methods, analytical and reporting software/tools, and related topics.
- Leading or completing other related special projects or assignments, as required.
- Critical Thinker: Displays well developed analytical, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills.
- Articulate: Ability to organize complex ideas and write persuasively and articulately.
- Driven: Exhibits initiative, assertiveness, appropriate sense of urgency, and realistic ambition to independently identify work to be performed and drive that work forward to completion.
- High-Performing: Highly functional in a dynamic, challenging environment, with the ability to anticipate and remove obstacles that slow down or prevent delivering on stated objectives.
- Adaptable: Ability to achieve success in a changing, ambiguous environment; navigate gray areas to find the path forward; and quickly adjust to frequently shifting priorities.
This is a grant funded position subject to cancellation when funds are depleted and/or contract period ends.
There are no major sources of discomfort, i.e., essentially normal office environment with acceptable lighting, temperature and air conditions.
MINIMUM EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS
Requires a Bachelor's degree in Business Administration, Public Administration or a field directly related to the type of work being performed.
Graduate degrees related to the type of work to be performed may substitute for the experience requirement on a year for year basis.
MINIMUM EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
Three years of professional administrative, financial or analytical experience related to the type of work being performed are required.
Professional experience related to the type of work to be performed may substitute for the education requirement on a year-for-year basis.
- Advanced proficiency with analytical tools and platforms, including Microsoft Power BI, Microsoft Excel, Python, R, SPSS, STATA, etc. with the ability to define and drive analytics and derive actionable insights.
- Ability to synthesize broad, multi-sourced, and sometimes imperfect data sets into cohesive interpretations and reporting outputs.
- Exceptional analytical abilities, with an understanding of the difference between operational and analytical dashboard designs, the ability to incorporate and combine qualitative, quantitative, static, and dynamic dashboard elements, and produce intuitive dashboard functionality and information flow for the end user.
- Strong planning, organizational, analytical, and decision-making skills; with well-developed business acumen and ability to manage a high volume of requests and navigate frequently changing priorities.
- Excellent communication and facilitation skills with an ability to effectively communicate with technical and non-technical audiences.
- Exceptional technical written communication skills with ability to create clear, concise, well organized reports, plans, and other written documents.
- Advanced level proficiency in Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, OnBase, Adobe Pro, MS Access or other data base program/software, SharePoint, SAP, ArcGIS; with an ability to quickly grasp specialized software programs.
**Preference shall be given to eligible veteran applicants provided such persons possess the qualifications necessary for competent discharge of the duties involved in the position applied for, such persons are among the most qualified candidates for the position, and all other factors in accordance with Executive Order 1-6**