1115 Atlantic Avenue
The Director of Programs is responsible for planning, overseeing, and collaboratively evaluating the programs and projects of the Agency, and is responsible for providing leadership, overall staff supervision, and operational guidance to program staff. The specific programs and projects overseen by this position may change over time, dependent on First 5 Alameda County’s (F5AC) strategic plan and budget. Currently, this position oversees Quality Early Childhood Education, Early Identification, Parent Support and Engagement, Neighborhoods Ready for School, Fatherhood, and Training programs.
This full-time, exempt position serves on the Agency Leadership Team, and works in close collaboration with the CEO, Agency Directors, and Senior and Program Administrators. The position is classified at the Director level.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED
Receives direction from the Chief Executive Officer or their designee. Provides general supervision to senior administrators, program administrators, coordinators, managers, specialists and/or associates.
This is a single incumbent and an exempt position at the Director level. This position participates in the Agency Leadership Team, and, as one of the agency executive management positions, interfaces with the F5AC Commission.
EXAMPLES OF TYPICAL JOB FUNCTIONS (Illustrative Only)
Management reserves the right to add, modify, change, or rescind the work assignments of different positions and to make reasonable accommodations so that qualified employees can perform the essential functions of the job.
- Provides general oversight and support to all First 5 programs, assuring that programs are implemented as planned, contract compliance requirements are met, and work is appropriately distributed across program staff
- Collaborates with staff from across the agency to create plans for program development/expansion and/or program contraction as needed, assuring that programs are integrated within each strategy area, across strategies, and within the organization as a whole, and that programs incorporate appropriate best and promising practices
- Assists in defining and developing agency-wide management and integration practices, governance standards, processes, and metrics for cross-cutting initiatives, like parent engagement, fatherhood and equity
- Develops plans for sustainability of programs in collaboration with agency leadership and Senior Program Administrators. Promotes and navigates sustainability efforts with community partners, collaborating with partners to ensure effective program design, delivery, and coordination of services
- Participates in agency oversight and/or planning meetings as appropriate, including the Agency Leadership Team (ALT), strategic planning, and other higher level agency meetings
- Plans for and leads team meetings within and across program strategies to ensure coordinated efforts and approaches in implementation of the F5AC strategic plan
- Coordinates the integration of the assigned contract/budget liaison, evaluation liaison, and Senior Program Administrators into program planning and implementation
- Develops, monitors and oversees the overall budget for programs. Oversees Senior Administrators’ management of program budgets and their coordination with agency fiscal and administrative personnel. Approves program expenditures requiring a second level of review and any major budget revisions
- Collaborates and coordinates with technology and evaluation staff on the evaluation of programs and provision of program data for the agency annual report
- In collaboration with Senior Administrators, monitors and reports on all aspects of programs and recommends changes or adjustments
- Collaborates with technology leadership to identify needs and maintenance that allows for easy access to data and reporting for continuous quality improvement of First 5 investments
- Identifies policy issues with potential impact on programs
- Coordinates participation in community-based efforts or initiatives, ensuring the Agency’s strategic representation in these efforts
- Supervises Senior Administrators and potentially one or more Program Administrators, Managers and/or Associates
- Identifies training and development needs of staff and collaborates with the HR Administrator to plan and implement training
- Plans, implements, and oversees the operation of programs assigned directly to this position
- Participate as a member of Agency Leadership Team (ALT)
- Principles and practices of executive leadership and staff supervision.
- Principles and practices in the field of early childhood and systems of care
- Principles and practices of direct client service delivery
- Program performance budgeting, strategic budgeting and benchmarking
- Principles and practices of public administration
- Applicable state laws, rules and regulations
- Principles and practices of management, supervision, training and team leadership
- Program development and evaluation methodologies
- Principles and practices of contract negotiation, development, and management
- Budgetary and contract administration practices
- Principles and practices of planning and project management
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and use of the internet for research
- Cross-cultural sensitivity
- Demonstrate experience and leadership in service delivery systems, program management, policy analysis and strategic thinking
- Provide leadership and effectively organize, coordinate, and supervise professional and administrative staff
- Promote teamwork and program integration within and across program strategies and agency-wide
- Work collaboratively with community agencies and stakeholders
- Demonstrate cultural awareness and sensitivity in a variety of contexts
- Communicate effectively orally and in writing to staff, the Commission and the public
- Read, analyze, and interpret common professional publications, legislative or policy documents, financial reports and related business documents and information
- Plan and project manage work to ensure organizational goals are achieved
- Develop a wide variety of short- and long-range plans and recommendations for alternative methods of service delivery for First 5 and local policy maker’s consideration
- Analyze, develop, and monitor budgets
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff throughout the Agency
- Facilitate groups and manage meetings effectively
- Adapt to a variety of situations
- Define and creatively address problems or management challenges requiring analysis of multiple variables or situations, collect and analyze information, consider alternatives, and draw valid conclusions
- Exercise judgment within broadly defined practices and procedures to create and select appropriate strategies and make and carry out effective decisions
Education and Experience:
Any combination of training and experience that would provide the required knowledge, skills, and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the required qualifications would be
Education: Master’s degree in Social Welfare, Planning, Public Administration, Public Policy, Public Health Care Administration or related fields.
Minimum five years full-time progressively responsible experience in a public or private organization or community agency, including at least four years of high-level program and operational planning, management, and administration experience. Four of the five years of experience must have included supervision of managerial or professional level staff with responsibility for diverse functional areas. Experience across a variety of sectors, including government, non-profit, and for-profit organizations preferred.
Bachelor’s degree in Social Welfare, Planning, Public Administration, Public Policy, Public Health Care Administration or related fields.
Minimum seven years full-time progressively responsible experience in a public or private organization or community agency, including at least four years of high-level program and operational planning, management, and administration experience. Four of the seven years of experience must have included supervision of managerial or professional level staff with responsibility for diverse functional areas. Experience across a variety of sectors, including government, non-profit, and for-profit organizations preferred.
Minimum eleven years full-time progressively responsible experience in a public or private organization or community development agency, including at least four years of high-level program and operational planning, management, and administration experience. Four of the eleven years of experience must have included supervision of managerial or professional level staff with responsibility for diverse functional areas. Experience across a variety of sectors, including government, non-profit, and for-profit organizations preferred.
Must have a valid California driver’s license, personal automobile insurance and ability to meet the driving record requirements for coverage under the Agency’s non-owned auto liability policy, access to own transportation and ability to travel within Alameda County as necessary to carry out job duties. Travel outside Alameda County occasionally required.
Must possess mobility to work in a standard office setting and use standard office equipment, including a computer; to operate a motor vehicle and to visit various County and meeting sites. This is primarily a sedentary office classification although standing and walking between work areas may be required. Finger dexterity is needed to access, enter, and retrieve data using a computer keyboard or calculator and to operate standard office equipment. Employees must possess the ability to lift, carry, push, and pull materials and objects up to 25 pounds.
Employees work in an office environment with moderate noise levels, controlled temperature conditions, and no direct exposure to hazardous physical substances. Employees may interact with upset staff and/or public and private representatives in interpreting and enforcing departmental policies and procedures.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please visit our website to apply online.