1701 N. Congress Avenue
POSITION OVERVIEW: The Accounting Director reports to the Texas Education Agency (TEA) Associate Commissioner for Finance/Chief Financial Officer and will play an integral part in overseeing a complex annual budget in excess of $25 billion in state and federal funds. The Accounting Director will provide oversight, direction, guidance, innovation, planning, control and quality assurance for all accounting operations. This individual will plan, assign, and supervise the work of employees in accounts payable, payroll and travel, reporting, cash management, and systems operation teams.
Please note, a resume and tailored cover letter are required for this position. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Additional Military Crosswalk: (occupational specialty code) information can be accessed at: https://bit.ly/2Kx9BcU
- Develops and adheres to state and federal rules, policies and procedures, ensuring timely and accurate processing of payments to vendors and subgrantees.
- Develops, improves, and maintains processes to ensure the accurate and timely processing of employee payroll and travel claims, state and federal cash and revenues, in accordance with state and federal rules and regulations.
- Manages and maintains a strict system of internal controls over financial resources and automated accounting systems.
- Plans, coordinates, and prepares the agency Annual Financial Report (AFR) in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP); other financial reports, financial research, and surveys to support business activities.
- Provides direction, guidance, and mentorship to promote a positive working environment and create a succession path for emerging managers and staff, while maintaining strict standards of professionalism and ethics required by a major state fiduciary.
Education: Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with major coursework in accounting, finance, business, public administration, or a related field is preferred.
Experience: A minimum of seven (7) years of experience managing and directing projects and staff in financial operations and accounting.
- Director-level accounting experience in a State of Texas government agency is preferred
- Extensive knowledge of PeopleSoft products, including writing queries and developing reports, and exposure to CAPPS Central is preferred
- CPA License is required
- Knowledge of governmental accounting, state and federal laws and regulations pertaining to financial operations, automated financial systems, financial reporting in accordance with GAAP
- Familiarity with public administration and management principles and practices
- Ability to provide technical accounting guidance to a multitude of stakeholders
- Experience evaluating fiscal data for accuracy and reasonableness
- A proven track record of exemplary management practices; experience planning, assigning and supervising the work of others
- Ability to break down complex information into comprehensive parts, ask questions, synthesize and analyze
- Highly organized; ability to manage multiple projects at once and meet deadlines
- Strong customer service mindset
- Ability to engage in a collaborative, results-oriented team environment
- Clear and concise written and oral communication skills
- A desire to self-reflect, give/receive feedback and continuously improve
MISSION: The Texas Education Agency (TEA) will improve outcomes for all public school students in the state by providing leadership, guidance, and support to school systems.
As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, color, national origin, age, sex, veteran status or disability.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires all new employees to present proof of identity and eligibility to work in the United States. The Texas Education Agency uses E-Verify to confirm employment eligibility.
This position requires the applicant to meet Agency standards and criteria which may include passing a pre-employment criminal background check, prior to being offered employment by the Agency.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Apply online at https://capps.taleo.net/careersection/701/jobdetail.ftl?job=00003264&tz=GMT-06%3A00