Deputy Secretary to the Governor for Environment
- Job posted by New York State Office of General Services
As a member of the Executive Chamber, serves under the direction of the Director of State Operations overseeing all phases of government operations and policy management within the Environment Portfolio.
Manages the Governor’s major environmental priorities and oversees the operations of the State’s environmental agencies, which consist of a combined workforce of over 5,000 employees and are funded by an annual budget of almost $2 billion dollars. These agencies include, but are not limited to:
Department of Environmental Conservation; Office of Parks Recreation & Historic Preservation; Environmental Facilities Corporation; Adirondack Park Agency; and the Hudson River Park Trust.
- Aids the Governor and Secretary to the Governor in administering the internal functioning of State government.
- Interacts with Commissioners and senior staff at assigned agencies on a daily basis to oversee and ensure proper functioning of agency business.
- Consults with non-governmental agencies and organizations within program areas.
- Provides briefings to the Governor, Secretary to the Governor and the Director of State Operations for all serious incidents and immediate threats to the State.
- Coordinates closely with the Governor’s Office of Public Information.
- Coordinates closely with the Governor’s Office of Counsel.
- Drafts, reviews and coordinates policies, programs and initiatives.
- Serves as liaison with the Division of Budget on the policy implications of fiscal decisions affecting assigned areas.
- Represents the Governor at various meetings and events.
- Carries out such special assignments as may be requested by the Governor, Secretary to the Governor or Director of State Operations.
- Develops and coordinates the Governor’s priorities for the Environmental Protection Fund.
- Serves as Chair of the Governor’s Environmental Justice and Just Transition Work Group.
- Reviews and authorizes rulemakings and other regulatory actions within the Environment portfolio.
- Reviews and makes recommendations on various public comments on behalf of the Governor and the Administration.
- Works with the Division of Budget regarding funding initiatives, and pursuing the Governor’s policy goals through budget negotiations with the Legislature.
Travel between NYC, Albany and throughout NYS is required as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree required
- JD or Master’s degree in a related field preferred
- 8+ years of relevant work experience
- Commitment to Public Service a must
- Environmental management and policy experience a must
- Broad experience in creating strategic plans and executing
- Knowledge of environmental issues
- Drivers’ license required to travel within New York State as needed
If interested, please send your resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org
New York State is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer
Minimum Education Required